Hot Rod Forum banner

Shelf life of Acrylic Enamel

10K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  eric302 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a half gallon of Nason, white, single stage acrylic enamel that has been in my garage for about 4-5 years. Do you think it would be safe to use or should I just throw it out? I'm fixing to paint a mustang and this is the factory correct color, that's why i'm so tempted to use it.

#2 ·
If the product has been sealed properly and you have fresh hardner and reducer there shouldn't be any problem using it...Have the gallon container shaken properly, perhaps take it to a jobber that has a paint shaker and let it shake for about 10 minutes. I had a pint of Dupont Chromalusion base coat from 1998. It was unopened and used it 10 years later.

Try a test panel first, some paint products have a tendency to become seedy, (looks like dirt in the paint) after a long shelf life, if it comes out clean and lays down properly, your good to go.

Ray

#3 ·
I think I might want to open it first and make sure it hasn't skinned over.
Maybe shake it a little by hand first and make sure you can hear it
moving around first. If it's still liquid and not gelled or skinned over
it should be fine.
You'll know when you strain it.
In the future consider pouring off into 1 quart cans before storing.
A gallon can half full is a lot of air in there.

#4 ·
You know a funny thing I learned as a rep, how long it will sit on the shelves! The batch number on the bottom of the can has the date code. I don't remember it now but I would turn cans over and look at that date code and see 5, 6, even 10 years old!

If they are sealed well they will last a long time. Of course if some is poured from it, now you have air in the can when you seal it, that can be a problem. How much is in the can makes a BIG difference. If the can is almost full, that is going to last a lot longer than if the can has a little at the bottom and is largely air.

Brian

#5 ·
Does storage temperature make a difference? I store my materials in the shop and it doesn't get below 70 degrees but will hit whatever the high temp is n the summer. I remember ages ago when i was a parts guy with a mixing bank, we were told to don't let the material get below forty degrees.

#7 ·
Storage temperature does make a difference, if the temperature remains at a fairly constant temperature that would make the paint last longer in the can. If your temperature range is a constant between 70 and a bit higher, temperature should not be a factor. One of the previous posts also mentioned that you have 1/2 gallon of paint in a 1 gallon can...he is correct in opening the can to make sure it hasn't skinned over. If it hasn't, shake it up and try it on a test panel.

Ray

#6 ·
Back in the early eighties. I was heavy into paint work. Rebuilding front/rear hits and used cars, along with hotrod stuff.

Closed that shop and moved. Being a pack rat type person. I kept all the inventory, thinking it would be handy on future projects. Which it has been..

Some of the oddball colors are still in the back of the barn. In pint and quart cans. The Centari paints, most colors, still are OK. RM enamels have all pretty much turned to jello. Most of the DuPont enamels are still usable. Just about all the lacquers are still good. The ones that haven't rusted thru the can anyways..

Used some just this last year as base for the Hugger Orange paint on the underside of body and inside the fenders of my Stude gasser to be..

#9 ·
Your absolutely correct....with respect to 2 quarts not being enough, but, if after spraying a test panel to see if the product hasn't gone bad...and assuming it hasn't, why not apply the the 2 older quarts first, then apply the new product over top? Nason AE is still available, purchase whatever more the OP feels he needs, use the same products throughout and save a bit of cash...Again, spraying a test panel will tell the tale if the product is workable, if it isn't, throw it out, if it is workable, why not use it...Do you see an error in what I feel is logic?

Ray

#10 ·
Fill your partial cans with argon from your tig torch, or have a can of bloxygen on the shelf.
The 75/25 for your wire welder will work to, a lot better than leaving air in there, but it wont work quite as well the argon.

It does not matter what brand or type of paint you have, the oxygen and moisture present in the air will ruin the paint over time.

I always shot a bit of argon into any partial cans, especially activator.

bloxygen

#13 ·
Dont toss it you may want to paint your kids bike or something ,it may be a little thick but just add reducer to thin it out... anyway for a SS paint you really want a urathane, AE just dont last, even with a hardener.white is cheap anyways,plus you'll need at least 3 qts,4 just to make sure.if you want a good inexpensive paint get Nason ful-thane, 10 times better than any AE and about the best cheap paint out there.. now day AE and urathane cost about the same anyways as far as nason (dupont) goes anyways...

#16 ·
If it hasn't been opened up and reduced it should last quite a few years.
Hey guys, I've got a half gallon of Nason, white, single stage acrylic enamel that has been in my garage for about 4-5 years. Do you think it would be safe to use or should I just throw it out? I'm fixing to paint a mustang and this is the factory correct color, that's why i'm so tempted to use it.
I never have seen a half gallon can :confused:

#15 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I'm gonna try the test panel and if that goes well I'll use it. I'm fixing this car to sell to finance my next project so if I can save a few bucks on paint that'll help my bottom line.

I've only painted 2 cars before, this will be my third using the acrylic enamel. I will definitely try the urethane next time, maybe a base clear. Just trying to learn as I go along. Thanks for all the help.

#18 ·
X2 on the welding gas in the paint to displace the oxygen. I got this tip from Kevin Tietz about 5 years ago. I do some part time collision work so about 4 years ago I was shooting some Chroma snap clear and had about 4 oz of hardner left in a 8 oz can. I used the welding gas trick and just last month needed to use some clear and tried the same clear and hardner. It dried and buffed fine. I was pleasently suprised. Before I started doing this I had hardner set up in the can. I do this all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.