shermen williams , any good - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

shermen williams , any good

I am getting ready to start the body and paint on the vette,and am wondering about paint quality.
the local auto store sells sherman williams paint, and according to the guy trying to sell it , its the best.
he says its better than nason and more durable than centari.
the deal is, 2 quarts of red base, 2 gallons clear coat, hardener, and reducer for the lot. priced at 600.$ cdn. tax included. is this a good price or should i stick to centari for a bit more $$??
anyone have any experience does anyone have any experience with shermen williams good or bad, let me know. mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 05:57 PM

We talking S-W paint or their value based product line Western?

Nason is Duponts cheaper brand of paint and if I remember right centari is an enamel product released by dupont.

Nason is by far the BEST value based product line Ive ever sprayed. I wouldnt use PPG's OMNI if you paid me and same goes for S-W's Western..

And by judging by the prices you got Id say he priced you Western paint. If you are getting regular old S-W paint then Id stick with that. S-W products will be under the name of Ultra 7000 series, that includes base, primer, sealer and clear.

If you have products labeled Western or Crossfire(which is Martin Senour) then you have the value based line of paint.

Id be very cautious of ANY paint guy that says they have the BEST product and the others are plain JUNK. He is either a liar or a damn fool!
Old 01-13-2004, 06:40 PM

I find sherwin williams paints hard to spray for some reason, the best value for your money is nason, i always have great success with it , i sprayed my car with nason i had 3 quarts of base, gallon of clear, sealer , for 170 out the door.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:07 PM

First off I just want to say Hi. I have been reading around here for a while and I like I what I have read. I am by far no genius when it comes to painting cars but I do good work. Mainly as hobby but it is starting to become more than just side work. Not mention I really love it.

Back to the subject -- I have used alot of the cheaper paint lines and most of the high end stuff and I found so far that I prefer the nason line for economy paint. I really feel like whatever paint line you prefer is good as long as it is used the way it meant to be used. Nason has a great shine to it I would buy it before I would buy the high end Dupont. The only gripe I have is buffing it. It is real hard to cut. It looks totally kick butt once all is said and done. I like the way the clearcoat lays down and if you reduce it 10% it is even better

I guess my point is if you use what you get correctly and take your time the job should turn out fantastic. Find what works for you and go with it.

Hello all !
Old 01-13-2004, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

I used the nason on my minivan and it shines great with only two coats of clear and no wet sanding (winter beater). I was looking for something better for the 75 vette since i'm already almost 10 grand into it.It's gonna run good (hopefully), and now it's gotta look good.
Is there any paint out there that stands out in quality above the others??I want to use b/c cause i'm gonna play with some pearl and ghost flames or something. mike
Old 01-14-2004, 05:08 AM

It costs alot but my favorite is Sikkens -- It is supposed to last long time -- sprays great but a clear kit will set you back at least 300+
Old 01-14-2004, 05:59 PM

Each paint line has its little highs and lows. I really dont think you will find ONE that just sticks out from the pack.

Ask 10 painters which is the best you'll get several different answers. Same goes for products within a ceratin paint line, one painter might prefer a certain clear over another clear.

If you stick with a top quality product line like PPG, dupont, sikkens who ever, you wont problems.

What I would do is check out the local shops in your area and find out what they spray. Ask them how they like the product and find out what kind of service or support that paint company gives them.

I dont care how great a certain brand of paint is, if you DONT have the support of the manufactor behind you in your area then you need to find another supplier.

Having that support can make or break the finished product. Been there done that...Eric
Old 01-14-2004, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Napa auto parts sells s/w crossfire paint its good stuff but it takes a while to get used to it. If you ask me its not the best product but it hold upgood.
<--- A pic of my pinto with crossfire products
Old 01-14-2004, 08:06 PM

I am totally with Eric...

For that matter my buddy who production paints saw a guy paint a hood with wal-mart spray paint. get this, the dude painted and then sanded at least 5 times. Then cleared with spray cans and sanded several times. all of this was done right outside the apartment and the hood was taken into the house for the sanding. My buddy said it looked as good as anything he had painted. however it the this guy took like 2 weeks to complete the hood. --- It won't last as long as a good automotive paint but patience pays off.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

I use S/W every day , even have a mixing station in our shop. we use the Ultra 7000 basecoat system , heck I just painted my truck this past weekend, take a look
Old 01-16-2004, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

so , in general, as long as i buy the best of the line, i should have no problems with quality.
in my area we have sikkens(ppg),sherman williams, BASF 3m and dupont.so If I make a list and get quotes from them all, I should buy the cheapest? .I'll get the names in writing to show you guys to make sure i'm not getting junk.
I'm doing a complete color change on a 75 stingray, i'm guessing two quarts of base?
I also plan on doing something wonderful with masking tape and ghost flames,with a wet sanded finish. should there be two coats of clear(1 gallon ) or should i put 4 or 5 coats (2 gallons).I'd like to have my list right before i go shopping.
Is there a reccomended number of coats of base?? can you put too much base on?can you layer it as long as the previous coat is tacked and not set?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:00 PM

There is NO given number of coats. It all depends on the underlaying color of your primer or sealer and how transparent the basecoat is.

I spray PPG products others can and ARE different, but I can get black to cover in 2 coats were I also have a few colors that take 8-9 coats to cover. In cases of those transparent colors I first spray on a tinted sealer that matches the basecoat color so I can achieve the proper coverage in 2-3 coats vs the 8-9 coats.

2qts of base will give you 1 gallon of RTS(Ready To Spray)product, thats cutting it VERY thin on a complete. Id go more like 3qts of basecoat.

Like I said before you NEED to find out how that company supports your area. If you have questions that need answered or what WHO you gonna call if they dont support that area?

The place where am at now sprayed S-W paint up til 2yrs ago then switched to PPG simply cus the tech support SUCKED in the area. I sprayed S-W at that shop for 5 years and saw the rep twice, thats only cus we TOLD him to show up.
When I had a problem or wanted some info on a new product I never got them answered.

Now with PPG the rep stops by almost every week, if I have a problem or question its answered right now.

The service or support can make or break ya, thats a fact!!!...Eric
Old 01-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Also, if you are doing primary solid colors, especially yellow, spray a uniform coat of dead white sealer first. Otherwise you will be laying on coats forever it seems and it still won't cover. I have found yellow to always be sort of transparent and by the time I got it to cover on anything but white it wasn't as bright as I wanted.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:38 AM

Last photo:

If its Western and the same stuff my buddy had me spray on his boat back in the early 90's, don't use the crap. No gloss to it at all, worst stuff I ever sprayed, doesn't have the right shine to it.

We used Sikens back and school and Is very nice paint. I got a few runs in it when I was starting out after spraying a lot of ppg products, It must flow a little more. I believe it is more expensive then ppg or dupont, at least it was back then.

Last edited by kenseth17; 01-17-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

you guys are right, I sold pittsburgh paints, wich is ppg, wich owns sikkens.and these products are well backed by the manufacturer.I know pittsburgh paints has a 1- 800 hotline for user information,so the tech support must be there for the profesional.
the only problem is that the guy who has the shop with sikkens ,is also the guy who owns the local bar, and owns the cops favorite tow truck,anyone see where i'm going?I don't want to be seen with this guy ever.
there's a new guy on my street(here from away)maybe i'll place the order and let him pick it up.lol mike

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.