Hot Rod Forum banner

Shielding wire from interference

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
I am getting interference from my MSD-6A and my speedometer on my digital dash. Nordskog (Who makes the dash unit) says that my speedometer sensor wire may be too close to the msd (I am thinking its too close to the sparkplug wires, its about 6 inches away). My speedometer jumps all over the place and I really have no way to reroute the wires without drilling a hole in my floorboards which I really prefer not to do. How can I shield this speedometer sensor wire? I have some thick metal tape and was thinking that this may "deflect" this interference some but figured I would ask here first.

Thanks
Jim

#2 ·
Any conductive cover on the wire will work, so long as you ground this shield. The metallic tape is fine so long as it's continuous and you can connect a wire to it to ground it. There is also an overbraid product that's sold at electronics supply houses that is exactly for this purpose. It looks like the stainless braid on hoses but the material is copper with plating or silver.

#4 ·
If you don't ground it it will make things worse. Make sure you only ground it in 1 spot. If another ground fails somewhere you don't want that ground tape trying to carry any serious current or you will have a fire. It will also work better if it is coiled around your wires rather that run along side of them.

Chet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.