Shift kit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2002, 05:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Shift kit

Can any one tell me the pros and cons of putting a shift kit in a TH350 transmission. Good, bad or other wise ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2002, 06:28 PM

I put shift kits in all my trans. Like the harder shifts and find that the clutches last longer due to less slippage.
Jack
Old 06-23-2002, 07:37 PM

Cool

Shift kitting basicly raises the hydraulic preasures in the trans. So as long as it is in good shape to start with should be no problem.

Should you do it, this depends on the application. If you are looking for a silky smooth change i.e smoth ride then dont shift kit it. If however you are looking for a crisper change and less clutch wear as said above then this could be for you. One other point if you are ever going to tow a trailer I would definately have it shift kitted. I run 400 chev through a shift kitted TH400 and it just humms.

Cheers
Sandman
Old 06-24-2002, 03:43 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Question

Hey Sandman...I've never installed one of these, can this be done at home by someone with average mechanical skills....I mean I know it doesnt take a rocket scientist but are there a buncha special tools involved? Also, in your opinion, which is the best as far as name brand?
Thanks, HRS10

[ June 24, 2002: Message edited by: HotRodS10 ]</p>
Old 06-24-2002, 06:28 PM

they are incredibly easy to install. u just drop teh trans pan. take out a couple bolts and bolt everythign back up. its hard under teh car kidna though cause u ahve trans fluid dripping all over u the whoel time. amke srue u let teh trans cool before u do it for a coupel hrs. first time i did it teh trans was still pretty hot and i had hot trans fluid dripping all over me the whoel time
Old 06-24-2002, 06:41 PM

S10, Like Oldcarguy said they are easy, all have instructions with pictures.You just need simple hand tools. B&M is probably the best, but I normally use NAPA, because of the price and I can pick up locally. Jack
Old 06-24-2002, 07:56 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Cool

Thanks guys, I'm putting my 350/th350 in my S10 this weekend and was thinking about installing a shift kit before I did but wasnt sure about how hard it would be since I dont know squat about trannys but I think I might give it a try. Thanks again, HRS10
Old 06-25-2002, 07:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Best kept secret is how easy auto trans are to work on. With a good manual to keep track of how it all goes together it reminds me of those rainbow colored stackable donut toys all our kids had as babies! Would much rather rebuild a turbo 350 than a manual gear box!
Old 06-25-2002, 04:03 PM

A shift kit is easy to do yourself. It's easier if you can have it out of the vehicle. I put one in a Firebird behind a 400 big block. It chirped the tires hitting second taking off from a red light in drive. I recently put one in a 700r4 behind a 327+ in a 4x4 s-10 xtra cab. It turn out to work the same as my old Firebird did. The B&M street/strip one is what I used. You take some ball bearings out and you replace some. You change plates and drill holes bigger. Nothing to it as long as you follow the directions!
Chris.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:47 PM

I have a S10 aswell...I dropped in a 350 / 350 combo. I found the shifts to be very weak. I put the truck up on stands and installed a B&M shift kit in about 5 hours with a little help from a friend.....nothing to hard (I am a novice) and I am now chirping into second under moderate acceleration. TRUST ME...YOU WANT TO DO THIS.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:10 AM

One of my vehicles is an S10 I put a 3.8 Buick V6 into, very quick but keep blowing transmissions, one TH200, one TH200C & now a TH350. No shiftkits in any. Anyone know of a POB overdrive tough enough?? Anyway I had an old friend a tranny builder most his life said the clutches do last longer with a shift-kit but you must come to a COMPLETE STOP when shifting from forward to reverse or visaversa becuz shift-kits apply much more immediate hydraulic pressure to the clutches than the stock softer transition. This means you must respect the shift-kit's low tolerance for careless behavior like rolling backwards when shifting into a forward gear especially with the revs up abit, as when in a rush to leave but u gotta back out of a parkingspot. Failure to observe this advice may do serious damage to the tranny like ripping the case on a TH350. Otherwise its great & offers better torque and fuel milage.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.