Hot Rod Forum banner

shift kit install

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mrfixmaster 
#1 ·
i found a b&m shift kit to put on my 400/400. i was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard to install, exactly how they work, and how advantageous they are. thex.

#3 ·
They are very easy to install. All you have to do is take off the transmission pan, and filter. Then you take out the whole valve body. Depending on the kit, you will probably have to take apart the valve body, change some springs, drill a bigger hole in the plate, take out some balls, put it all back together, and put it back in the tranny. What a shift kit does is it raises the transmission fluid pressure throughout the whole tranny, making all of the clutches press harder against each other. This makes much less slippage and makes harder shifts. I've read that a shift kit can double the life of your tranny when used in towing or racing applications because of less wear (slippage). If you are using it for racing though, i would suggest a tranny cooler. There really isnt a down side to a shift kit unless you like smooth soft shifts.

#5 ·
Shift kits are AMAZING!! A word of advice, READ THE DIRECTIONS! Yes, I am a guy, and no I don't usually read the directions till it's FUBAR, but READ THEM BEFORE YOU START!!! Then when you
take the pan off, and see what everything looks like, READ THEM AGAIN!! After you take the valve body out, and start to take it apart, READ THEM AGAIN!!! (Did I mention that you should READ THE DIRECTIONS?) A mis-drilled hole, or a wrong spring, or a mis-placed check ball will give you grimlins you don't want to chase.
Enjoy your new feeling tranny!!!!!1

M.F. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.