Shift Problems with a 350 Turbo Transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Shift Problems with a 350 Turbo Transmission

Let me start by saying that I have installed a Hughes High Performance rebuild kit and a Trans-Pak Shift Kit stage 3 (street/strip version). The problem that I am having is that the trans. is not shifting the way that it should, but rather shifting smoother than a stock trans. Needless to say this is not what I want so the question is what can I do to fix the problem, also be aware that I took the accumulator out and plug it with a 3" long 1/2" extension, maybe this could do it but I am not sure.

Thanks 84 SS Guy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

is your modulator hooked up to vacum?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Bigger is better

Last photo:

There should be a screw in the modulator on the passenger side of your tranny. Adjusting this screw will make the tranny shift firmer or smoother.

Make sure that you are hooked to a good vac source also.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I would think you left the spring for the accumulator out , not the actual accumulator piston?

If the tranny is shifting I would guess the vacuum is hooked up

Recheck your installation of the trans pak shift mods. A t-350 is dirt simple to modify for firm shifts. Look at the check ball installation

Did you install a high stall speed converter when the tranny was built?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:15 PM

Turbo 350 shift problem

I have the modulator hooked up to the carb, but I will double-check that it is well connected. I have rechecked the installation of the trans-pak and I found it to be okay, the kit says to use two check balls in specific locations and I did so. Also on the stall converter idea I installed it about 1-2 years previous to all the other mods and it is still just fine as far as I can tell. As far as the accumulator I did not only remove the spring but the all of the pieces that are inside of the cap on the passenger side of the motor and then plugged up the hole with a 3" long 1/2" extension for a rachet. (just to let everyone know this was another persons idea for me and I just went with it so be gentle)

Thanks for the replies and I will check out the modulator hook up, I appreciate any other ideas you guys come up with.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84' SS Guy
I have the modulator hooked up to the carb, but I will double-check that it is well connected. I have rechecked the installation of the trans-pak and I found it to be okay, the kit says to use two check balls in specific locations and I did so. Also on the stall converter idea I installed it about 1-2 years previous to all the other mods and it is still just fine as far as I can tell. As far as the accumulator I did not only remove the spring but the all of the pieces that are inside of the cap on the passenger side of the motor and then plugged up the hole with a 3" long 1/2" extension for a rachet. (just to let everyone know this was another persons idea for me and I just went with it so be gentle)

Thanks for the replies and I will check out the modulator hook up, I appreciate any other ideas you guys come up with.
I believe the accumilator on the passenger side of the case , the piston is to remain in the bore with the sealing rings on it.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 PM

Turbo 350 shift problem

Thanks for the ideas I will check them out tomorrow (Tues. the 11) I will be sure to let you know the results.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Turbo 350 shift problem

Nothing has worked I am still in need of some advice. All ideas are welcomed!!!

Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Did you remove the accumulator PISTON or just the spring? I believe the piston needs to be in the case for there to be enough pressure to still operate. I've removed the SPRING before on my 350 and just left it at that. Shifted a tad firmer.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Turbo 350 shift problem

I removed all components from inside of the accumulator cap. I just took it back apart on Tues. and took the extension out of the hole and it did seem to make a very very slight difference, but still no where near where the tranny should be at; not only that but no where near a stock shift either.

thanks again for the ideas and let me know if that piston being in there would change anything because the hole would still be acting the same in my opinion.
84' SS Guy
Old 04-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I removed all components from inside of the accumulator cap. I just took it back apart on Tues. and took the extension out of the hole and it did seem to make a very very slight difference, but still no where near where the tranny should be at; not only that but no where near a stock shift either.

thanks again for the ideas and let me know if that piston being in there would change anything because the hole would still be acting the same in my opinion.
84' SS Guy

The piston needs to be in there.

Unless the feed holes are plugged off some where else in the tranny case.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

As Mr. Crosley says, the holes need to be plugged OR the piston has to be back in. With the piston gone, the fluid that normally pushes against the inside face of the piston is now just dumping back into the trans through the drain back hole on the other side of the piston area.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:46 PM

Turbo 350 shift problem

Thanks for the idea guys I will definately check on that asap. I will be sure to let you how it works.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:50 PM

Turbo 350 shift problem

I am still having no luck with the tranny so if there are any more ideas I am all ears. I have tried the vaccum, the re-installation of the piston and spring in the accumulator, and the checking of the check ball installation. I am curious if someone can send me a picture of the adjustment screw by the modulator that was mentioned in an earlier reply, it may help me, because I will then try to adjust it.(I will also need to know if adjusting it in or out makes it shift firmer)

Thanks alot
84' SS Guy
Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I am still having no luck with the tranny so if there are any more ideas I am all ears. I have tried the vaccum, the re-installation of the piston and spring in the accumulator, and the checking of the check ball installation. I am curious if someone can send me a picture of the adjustment screw by the modulator that was mentioned in an earlier reply, it may help me, because I will then try to adjust it.(I will also need to know if adjusting it in or out makes it shift firmer)

Thanks alot
84' SS Guy

turn the screw in.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.