Hot Rod Forum banner

Shifter lever and knob for 88 Chevy.

874 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  66GMC 
#1 ·
I need a new shifter knob for my 1988 Chevy Silverado, but it doesn't seem to want to come off easily. You can take the whole lever off by unscrewing at the bottom but the knob simply wont come off. Any help?

#2 ·
Hi: Thanks for the question. I moved your post to general rodding tech because I think you'll get more and better answers in that forum. Thanks again and good luck.

#3 ·
Chevy8392 said:
I need a new shifter knob for my 1988 Chevy Silverado, but it doesn't seem to want to come off easily. You can take the whole lever off by unscrewing at the bottom but the knob simply wont come off. Any help?

Dorman Products #76935

They are just friction fit, so you can safely mangle, cut, and destroy your old one to get it off.

If you wanted to get tactful and fancy ... and do it right ... I think that warming it up with a heat gun might make it soft and pliable enough that you could pull it off. Remember to wear gloves, or you'll be doing the "hot potato" thing. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.