Hot Rod Forum banner

shifter for saginaw 4 speed trans

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GMR 
#1 ·
I contacted Hurst and the tech told me I must use a competition plus shifter and install kit designated for use with a saginaw 4 speed otherwise the geometry will not be correct. Those kits go for about $335.

If anyone has used something different could you provide what part numbers you used and any other mods you made. I'd like to try to save some money and pick up swap meet items if possible. From what I've seen so far though, saginaw parts aren't widely available so if something else would work it might enhance my chances of finding something.

It's for a street rod so I don't have a specific make/model requirement.

#2 ·
Time to start looking on that online auction site we all know and love. The "tower" assemblies are virtually the same. There are several different mounts to bolt the tower to the Saginaw trans. I would think the install kit for a Muncie would work, and you'd only have to modify the reverse linkage rod (I'm still thinking along the used lines). You may even find a dedicated Saginaw setup on e-bay. Butch/junior stocker.

#3 ·
Shifter for saginaw 4 speed trans.

Try Patricks [520]836-1117. I shopped around for a long time for a shifter for the same trans,and I got alot of Bipity, Bapity,Boop! Not only was it cheaper than what you quoted, but when I had a question about it there was a real live person that actually gave a crap too talk to. Jimmy

#5 ·
My experience is'nt with a Saginaw, but a Borg Warner Super T-10. I came across a MOPAR/Hurst shifter tower WITH the piston grip shift handle. I pulled that out and gave it to a MOPAR friend. I had to use a press to collapse the push in style reciever, and modified it for a bolt on stick. The T-10 came with levers, but no rods. Went to the local speed shop and dug around in a box of shifter parts they had to come up with some workable rods. The shifter works fine with my made-to-work parts. That's why I suggested buying something cheap and making it work. Butch/junior stocker.

#7 ·
Butch, so, neither the "tower" or the rods have to necessarily be saginaw specific, as the Hurst tech indicated. That would make parts easier to find. I didn't want to buy stuff and find out later it wasn't the right, or at least workable, way to go. There is a post on this site that states the poster tried every which way to make it work correctly but eventually ended up getting saginaw parts only. I might give the hybrid method a try.

fast68 - sure, but as of yet haven't seen any serviceable units at local swaps for what I think are reasonable prices. It's my understanding some of those cars came with a Muncie shifter mechanism as opposed to the comp plus. I'm not really interested in the Muncie mechanism. I'm thinking the more options I have the more chance I have of finding something at a good price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.