Hot Rod Forum banner

shine a paint job

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
I plan on wet sanding, buffing and using a polymer sealer on my 40 dodge. My question is can i then shoot a coat of clear coat over it if I'm not satisfied with the shine

#4 ·
I guess you figured I don't know diddly about painting cars. when i bought my dodge it had been painted by the owners sons and it might have been there first attempt at it. It is a candy red semi gloss, I actually kind of like it, but its inconsistant and has a couple bad runs so i've decided to try and make it shine.the procedure i mentioned doing I read on line {how to buff out a car}, any advice you have would be appreciated.

#6 ·
Without knowing how much paint is on i would not get too agressive with sanding. Maybe try a spot with 2k lightly then polish. On sags i place 2 in tape over them then sand with a hard block. You sand through the tape to the high part of the sag. The tape protects the surrounding area from being burned through. Once flat remove the tape and block with finer paper.
sanding and buffing an unknow is always a crap shoot. Dont feel bad if you break through, there is just no way to know how thick it is . Good luck with it .
the polyshield is a ***** to get off to work over plus if there is still solvent coming out it will trap it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.