Shining/Polishing/Finishing Acrylic Enamel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Missing You

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question Shining/Polishing/Finishing Acrylic Enamel

Hi Ya'll,

My dad and brother painted the race car themselves a couple months back and they're doing a frame off rebuild. They sprayed two coats of Acrylic Enamel. Its got little specks of dust in the paint and you can feel them. Dad got out there with Turtle Wax today - for some reason. Then he kept saying he needed some rubbing compound, but I told him that might pull some color out of it.

Anyhow, I told him they needed to wet sand it and work on getting it smooth, but he gave me that "naaa, I don't wanna fool with sanding it." He said wet sanding would ruin it.

So, what can we do to finish this paint job and get it smooth and nice looking? Keep in mind, its just a race car, it doesn't have to be showroom perfect.

Spank Ya!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Was the paint catalyzed? If so, it can be polished. Wet sanding w/ 1500/2000 first would be the ideal then buff but you can do a reasonable, 15' job (looks good from 15'!) with a razor blade and hand polish. Bend a single edge razor to give it a slight curve. Then use it like a cabinet scraper by very lightly dragging it across the bugs, big dust, drips and runs sith the tips of the curved blade away from the paint until they are level. I can't stress enough, do it lightly. Let the blade to the work. There isn't a paint flaw out there that this method won't remedy. Then polish those leveled spots w/2000 grit paper. Once the big cobbles are off, hand polish it with 3M Perfect-It (my favorite) , Macquires or other good polish, then finish it with 3M Perfect-It hand glaze. Wax is final step.

If the paint was not catalyzed it cant be polished without cutting thru the surface hard layer ruining any chance for a shine. In that case, just wax it.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:06 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Willy knows how to fix anything. I usually try to avoid having to fix things. I don't believe in waxing a race car.

Years ago I worked on a car that ran at our local track. Every once in a while the owner's wife would get a "wild hair" about making the car look specially good for that race, and she would get to cleaning it. Next thing we knew she was going at it with wax. That night we were loading it on the trailer with a wrecker. We figured out that wax does not belong on race cars.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.