"Shock advice",,, - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I see BOTH sides of this.

I have built a few rods for other people
J U S T ... Not as many as the da34guy

I have a certain way I like to built. I always use certain parts ...
because I KNOW what the end result will be.

My name and reputation goes on the car I built.
So I do NOT like using something I did not choose.

I am fairly sure that da34guy will agree.
OF COURSE ... the customer should have imput. Color, upholstery and wheel choice. That is why I rarely do a turn key vehicle.

If the man with the $$$ wants ... a certain thing ... he should be able to build it. I truly believe that is partly the reason you see so many fairly fresh rods up for sale.

When you have too many cooks in the kitchen ... the results are usually less than satisfying.

Advertisement

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I see BOTH sides of this.

I have built a few rods for other people
J U S T ... Not as many as the da34guy

I have a certain way I like to built. I always use certain parts ...
because I KNOW what the end result will be.

My name and reputation goes on the car I built.
So I do NOT like using something I did not choose.

I am fairly sure that da34guy will agree.
OF COURSE ... the customer should have imput. Color, upholstery and wheel choice. That is why I rarely do a turn key vehicle.

If the man with the $$$ wants ... a certain thing ... he should be able to build it. I truly believe that is partly the reason you see so many fairly fresh rods up for sale.

When you have too many cooks in the kitchen ... the results are usually less than satisfying.

Not such a bad statement,,,,I do understand about using different parts on a car that a builder is not familiar with,,but every part I have bought,I asked My builder and he has agreed with that choice.
For example,, the body he normally uses is out of stock,so I suggested using a another companies body and He is checking to see if it will make things more difficult for him or not.
I will give him the opportunity to do so.
Let's not make this into a National crisis.
PS,,,,,,I had most of my cars for "several years" and don't usually sell them after a year!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Since you originally asked about coil over shocks here is what I see;

You have pretty light car that will be nose heavy with 120+ pounds of blower and carbs.

Any of the quality adjustable coil overs will probably be valved to stiff for you. Even a double adjustable will still be so big of difference between 1 and 2 that the car will ride like a lumber wagon or my 1 ton dually.

My car is very similar but a bit heavier. Quality coil overs and single adjustable. Rebound ony. It rode harder than the dually. I finally found a guy that rebuilds and revalves shocks for the circle track guys. He knew exactly what I was talking about. $80 later he had the shocks revalved. Now they are much better ..still a little stiff for my liking but acceptable. At least I can make the adjuster work now.

So plan on haveing your coil overs revalved. Tell the guy what the use is and about how much weight is on the front end and rear end. He will take it from there.

Be sure to tell us how the "Big Al" motor runs.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad32
Not such a bad statement,,,,I do understand about using different parts on a car that a builder is not familiar with,,but every part I have bought,I asked My builder and he has agreed with that choice.
FastLane has built more cars, better cars than most anyone who regularly posts here ( including myself ).

I wish I could afford a Fastlane build 32 Ford.
I would go with what Dave says and forget baout the rest of the " drug store " mechanics.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
FastLane has built more cars, better cars than most anyone who regularly posts here ( including myself ).

I wish I could afford a Fastlane build 32 Ford.
I would go with what Dave says and forget baout the rest of the " drug store " mechanics.

Good to know,,,by the way,,His name is Dale.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
Since you originally asked about coil over shocks here is what I see;

You have pretty light car that will be nose heavy with 120+ pounds of blower and carbs.

Any of the quality adjustable coil overs will probably be valved to stiff for you. Even a double adjustable will still be so big of difference between 1 and 2 that the car will ride like a lumber wagon or my 1 ton dually.

My car is very similar but a bit heavier. Quality coil overs and single adjustable. Rebound ony. It rode harder than the dually. I finally found a guy that rebuilds and revalves shocks for the circle track guys. He knew exactly what I was talking about. $80 later he had the shocks revalved. Now they are much better ..still a little stiff for my liking but acceptable. At least I can make the adjuster work now.

So plan on haveing your coil overs revalved. Tell the guy what the use is and about how much weight is on the front end and rear end. He will take it from there.

Be sure to tell us how the "Big Al" motor runs.
Bent....
In the past to some extent this was a true statement and depending on manufacturer and shock can still be a true statement however if an adjustable shock is worth a grain of salt, you should be able to darn near adjust from a "nearly" open to just about locking it out in a closed position. And if you want to get completely knob freaky you can go all the way to a triple adjustable (compression, extension, and highspeed/lowspeed ). If you cant tune in a car with that then I dont know what to tell ya.

Here is where the tar meets the road... I have personally... literally measured , weighed and fit hundreds and hundreds of finished cars and two of the most prevalent problems that I run across are this

1. Builder did not allow for enough suspension stroke and ultimately tries to tie the suspension from working by over springing the car. This can typically come from the scenario like mentioned before in this thread where the chassis is spec'd for a specific ride height and whel tire combo... then halfway through the build decides the owner wants big billets with rubber bands and now wants the car over the tires... on the other hand, I know many of builders that need to stick to sheetmetal and paint and stay away from suspensions...
2. I cant tell you how many "adjustable" shocks I have come across underneath these cars that have yet to have one iota of adjustment made to them. This is where the owner needs to be completly honest with themselves and go with a quality fixed valve shock because they will be far better off then by having a knob that never gets used.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I have to agree with you especially about staying with what you know and not claiming to be expert in something you know little about ( reading into your context).

Ride quality is very subjective. One person's good ride is horrible to another. There isn't an easy gage you can wire in to show ride quality so it is just SOP. When you go to twiddle the shock knobs you add the perceived change and now you think it either improved of degraded. You have no way of measuring it.

What do you adjust?? Compression, rebound or exotic velocity??? How much?? 1 click? Add to this is it is time consuming to run the car in the shop, twiddle the knobs and take it out for another ride. If you have 12 clicks on each of compression and rebound and only 3 clicks of velocity you will have 432 possible adjustments....if I remember some stats. It's been 5 years since I retired from eng.

Then if you change the road conditions it's a whole 'nother game. You really have to take you personal thoughts out and only note what happens. For example, you add a couple clicks of rebound. You expect the car to follow the road better. But does it really?? Maybe but possibly this was not enough and it needs more. You want it to be better but it is not but you say it is better because you adjusted it "better". Maybe it needs less compression too.

Then what happens when you go on a cruize as we do every week. Start out on relatively smooth (no smooth roads in minn) city street, go to county roads and pick up the speed, dodge a few pot holes, winding roads along the rivers, then..OMG the road is under construction...de-tour. dusty gravel road turns into washboard for 5 miles. Then a brief run on the freeway and back to the county roads. By after noon it is raining. How do those big tires handle this??. Who's car rides the best here?? 26 cars you will have 26 different answers. Most of them not good.

There are tuning devices and data recorders that can record suspension movement. Circle track guys do this all the time. However you still have to be able to interpret the results. Not everyone wants or needs a couple grand tool to tune suspension.

The bottom line is that if you paid for adjustable shocks...get out and turn the knobs and see what happens. Try and make a note of each change, then go back and do it all over again. Just be glad you don't have to do this for a living. haha
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

You are definiteyl right about ride quality being completely subjective... one of my favorite things I hear from guys is "but I tell ya, when I am on a smooth road its great" .... my reply is usually "so is a skateboard"

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.