"Shock advice",,, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"Shock advice",,,

This might have been asked before but I want Your opinions on what type of shocks{coilovers,etc..} to put on the '32 Ford coupe I'm having built.
It will have a sbc engine with a blower,so there will be a little extra lbs. up front.
I want it to handle good,not that I'm gonna take it thru the canyons or anything,but it should be pretty stable.
Thanks,
George

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Nobody has an opinion????
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad32
This might have been asked before but I want Your opinions on what type of shocks{coilovers,etc..} to put on the '32 Ford coupe I'm having built.
Most of us imagine that ... the chassis builder you choose to use already has a set path for his frames. 90 per cent of the 32 Fords on the road today use a street rod shock ... such as TCI sells.

They are valved for a light weight vehicle, come in chrome and are not considered expensive.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Thank You,,,,,is that Your red '32?
That looks bad a*s!!!
I like the way the exhaust pipe is done.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

George...
the type of coilover is going to depend on the type of suspension you are running on it front and rear. And keep in mind , as with most things.... your ride quality and handling are only going to be as good as the quality of components you put on it. If you find a pair of 20.00 shocks... then you will have a 20 dollar ride qualty although a oair of $1800.00 Penske's maybe overkill.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Thank You,,,,,is that Your red '32?
That looks bad a*s!!!
I like the way the exhaust pipe is done.
I don't know whose it is, but a three window just look tough- especially chopped.

The photo of the red coupe is from HERE, I believe. This site has major photo coverage as well as old car mag covers (the mags are for sale) I had linked to in another thread.

I think the black one is bad, too (don't know where that photo is from). That body style just look right.

As for the shocks, coil overs are usually adjustable for preload at least, and can be fully adjustable as well. They can look and work fine, but a lot depends on the "look" you want.

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Nobody has an opinion????
Why not just let your builder make that decision.
He's probably built a few more cars than you.
As a builder for over 40 years, when a customer starts telling me how to build a car or what parts to use, I usually tell them to get to the shop real quick with a trailer and a pocket full of CASH, and pickup the project up and finish it themselves.
Think your gonna create problems with your builder George.
Just my 2 cents.
After talking to you George, I din't think I'd want a customer such as you, trying to direct the whole build.
Good luck in your venture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32 roadsters build pics 026.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	59334   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 roadsters build pics 128.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	59335   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 roadsters build pics 183.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	59336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nu Orange Coupe 003.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	59337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nu Orange Finished 004.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	600.5 KB
ID:	59338  

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I suppose there are two sides to every coin. But if I am paying the freight, I darn well should expect to have my say when it comes to what my car's being built with, and built like- unless the agreement was to have the builder make all the decisions for me. Which I personally would never do.

That said, I see nothing wrong, and everything to recommend sitting down w/the fabricator (if it's someone besides yourself) and hashing out the details of what type suspension as well as the design of the front end in general. There are a lot of choices... and he may have a 'comfort zone' working w/a particular set up as opposed to another.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

oddly enough I see both sides of this and in reality there are customers on both sides... ones that need to stay away from the build because they are only slowing the progress and I have seen quote " professional Builders" that need to stick to paint or upholstry because that is really all they know.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Why not just let your builder make that decision.
He's probably built a few more cars than you.
As a builder for over 40 years, when a customer starts telling me how to build a car or what parts to use, I usually tell them to get to the shop real quick with a trailer and a pocket full of CASH, and pickup the project up and finish it themselves.
Think your gonna create problems with your builder George.
Just my 2 cents.
After talking to you George, I din't think I'd want a customer such as you, trying to direct the whole build.
Good luck in your venture
Gee, can the guy with the money say whether he wants a '32 roadster or a Model A coupe? Or should he just come to your shop with his checkbook and see what you have for sale?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Most of us imagine that ... the chassis builder you choose to use already has a set path for his frames. 90 per cent of the 32 Fords on the road today use a street rod shock ... such as TCI sells...
A "street rod shock?" Oh yeah, TCI or Pete and Jakes, or look in the back of Street Rodder Magazine... or (here's a wild idea) you want front shocks on your rod, consider early Corvette rear shocks, purchased from NAPA.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by user151
Gee, can the guy with the money say whether he wants a '32 roadster or a Model A coupe? Or should he just come to your shop with his checkbook and see what you have for sale?
Maybe ya need more info B4 ya start post stuff like that.
The OP is a first time (gonna be) owner of a 32.
After him calling me and asking for my advise and telling me that he knew everything he wanted on the car and had alredy contracted a builder, but still wanted my opinion, kinda told me he hadn't done his home work before hand.
During the coversation, he changed his mind 2-3 times on differant parts.
I've always told my customers
"Build it on paper first"
Don't think he's done this.
He started buyin parts without any researvh, then comes to forum's as this 1 and starts aking ????'s after he already gotta contract with a builder. DUH????.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I suppose there are two sides to every coin. But if I am paying the freight, I darn well should expect to have my say when it comes to what my car's being built with, and built like- unless the agreement was to have the builder make all the decisions for me. Which I personally would never do.

That said, I see nothing wrong, and everything to recommend sitting down w/the fabricator (if it's someone besides yourself) and hashing out the details of what type suspension as well as the design of the front end in general. There are a lot of choices... and he may have a 'comfort zone' working w/a particular set up as opposed to another.

I TOTALLY AGREE with You!!!
I't's my $$ and I do run a pretty good business of my Own so I'm not that big of an idiot where I don't know about engines,trannies,rear ends,or bodies of cars!!
I may not be a "car builder",,but I have owned several nice custom cars over My years from Chevelles,to Corvettes,to Camaros,and a few other awesome rides.
I "will" have My opinion on how my coupe is built,,if someone wants to do it for free,,,then I'll let them do it any old way they want!!!
ps,,,,,it was nice talking to you,,,sorry you didn't feel the same,,,but one thing,,,I most likely will go with the N&N body!
I'll post pictures of my bad as@ ride when its done.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by user151

Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
He started buyin parts without any researvh, then comes to forum's as this 1 and starts aking ????'s after he already gotta contract with a builder. DUH????.

Boy,,Your on a roll,,,and here I thought You were a good Guy.
Anyways,,I am trying to buy only the best parts for my coupe.
I have a Bowtie tranny,big Al's blower motor,Walker radiator,Moser rear end,,and some other goodies.
Anything wrong with those parts?????
Just because a guy already has parts or thoughts in mind,,,can't he ask a few questions??
Isn't this what this forum is for???

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.