Shock tower removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 09:59 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shock tower removal

Ok im attempting to remove the stock shock towers on my '61 Falcon and need to know the best way.

My first choice would be a plasma cutter but i dont have easy access to one. My father suggested drilling out the spot welds along the tower down to the frame and also remove the brace as well.

This has proved to be a real pain is their a better way. Because i dont want to cut uneccesary holes into my frame as well.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 12:42 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

Quote:
My father suggested drilling out the spot welds along the tower down to the frame and also remove the brace as well.
Drill out the spot welds and use a panel cutter to separate them.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:34 AM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

ok will make another attempt
thanks
Old 02-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Before you do that, what are your plans for suspension when they are removed?

Plus, have you thought about the structural strength of the body?
Old 02-21-2004, 03:41 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Poncho has a point. You will need to make sure that you replace the towers with something atleast as strong.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:41 PM
aka Duke of URL

Exclamation

He stated in a previous post that he had bought a conversion kit from Speedway Motors, but had not bought the x-member yet. He did not state the vendor of the kit, but I would assume that it came with detailed instructions and the replacement panel for the tower.

That apron had to hold a lot of weight Facon 5.0, so it will be a little tough to cut out of there.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:02 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by KULTULZ
He stated in a previous post that he had bought a conversion kit from Speedway Motors, but had not bought the x-member yet. He did not state the vendor of the kit, but I would assume that it came with detailed instructions and the replacement panel for the tower.

That apron had to hold a lot of weight Facon 5.0, so it will be a little tough to cut out of there.

I don't assume anything. If the kit came with detailed enough instructions, there probably wouldn't have been a post about how to remove the shock tower. Detailed instructions should have explained how to remove them and install any type of replacements.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:06 AM
aka Duke of URL

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by adtkart

I don't assume anything. If the kit came with detailed enough instructions, there probably wouldn't have been a post about how to remove the shock tower. Detailed instructions should have explained how to remove them and install any type of replacements.
Uh...If I somehow ruffled your tail feathers, please accept my apology. I merely repeated what the man said in a previous post.

This is what he asked;

Quote:
Ok im attempting to remove the stock shock towers on my '61 Falcon and need to know the best way.
If you will notice, kit quality and instructions vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think he has established that the aprons need to be removed, but was having difficulty doing so. I would assume that it is because of the guage of the metal and strength of the factory welds at the towers. He merely wants to know the best way to go about it with causing as least damage possible that would be later need repairing.

Something like this sounds fairly easy until you are the one with the panel cutter.

I come here to share knowledge, not let my ego get the best of me. And you?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:09 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

Actually this kit came with no instructions whatso ever. Because i made the consciece decesion to build the crossmember myself and their was no affordable kit for that car so i ordered all the parts i needed minus the crossmember.

Since the kit is very similar to what was offered stock on the MII mustangs i will get measurements off my friends Buick that has a similar setup.

i got the towers off now and will cut a template to build a panel to fill in the space that i cut out. and will brace the frame upwards with a tube design including a new tube export brace that i may run through the firewall later to a potential roll cage but for now i will just plate it on the other side.

But yea poncho it is an MII kit from speedway motors came with control arms springs shocks brake kit everything except the Xmember and spring cups
Old 02-22-2004, 07:25 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I may be wrong, but I believe that car was a uni-body type, like the Mustang. If so, the lower frame rails are not very thick or strong. Probably not strong enough to support the MII type spring cups without some serious reinforcement. Have you considered trying it with an original crossmember? That way the spring cup is part of the crossmember, and does not have to be welded on separate. If the width would work, you still might want to reinforce the frame rails.

Just a suggestion.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

Here are some written instructions...

-Street Rod Engineering-

...that might help you along. Rod & Custom Motorsports has a highly detailed written instructions and photographs with theirs.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:34 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

Kultulz, thanks for that website it will definatly help and also thanks for being with me just about every step of the way i alway value your input

Adkart yea your right it is a unibody type frame and if by original crossmember you mean the one that came stock i cant use it because i unbolted it and removed all the bracketry with it (it was built in with the shock tower)

I thought about bracing the frame with some panels welded alongside the stock frame rails but i was afraid generating that kind of heat while welding would only weaken it any ways...Opinions?

One more question. Should i remove the stock strut rod mounts an brace the front another way or if their is no space conflict just leave them their. Because those instructions say to clear the framerails 6inches either way and i think that old bacetry is within that radius and will not be used on the new struts since the MII kit faces the opposite direction
Old 02-23-2004, 11:00 PM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow Hey Falcon 5.0

Any chance of your letting it sit for a couple of days? I wish you could get a copy of Rod & Custom Motorsports catalog as when I got mine (several years ago) it included a magazine article fully detailing what you are doing. They cut the page size so the magazine publisher is not shown but I bet that they are still available. If nothing else, I will copy this one and mail it to you.

Might save you some time and cussing...
Old 02-25-2004, 08:32 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

kultulz,
Well i think your right, if your willing to copy that article i would be more than gracious. Does it give all necessary measurments because that is the big one i need.

metalman300h@hotmail.com

also is their a way to predetermine the ride height with the spring i have befor i set the suspension in their and build the spring hats

Last edited by 5.0Falcon; 02-25-2004 at 08:32 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.