SHOCKING! Regarding Por-15 - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

por 15

I want to do a frame with Por15 but am curious I havn't read much about it but on a frame do i needd to compltly have it blasted or can I just clean up the flaky rust and do it that way?? what has been your best experiances ??
Jesse

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 08:02 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

follow the directions.
get rid of any loose rust. it is NOT necessary to go to bare metal, por likes a little rust to bite.....
use the marine clean and metal ready to promote good adhesion. two coats of por, and your good to go. check out their website. theres a link somewhere above....
Old 03-22-2004, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

In my experience with Restomotive products such as POR 15, they don't work well with mixing brands. Restomotive Labs makes body filler and a Tie Coat primer which are the only products that should be used on top of POR 15. POR 15 should be used against the bare metal then their Restogrip or Straightline body filler then the Tie Coat primer. The Tie coat primer sands as well as any primer I have used. You may then topcoat the Tie Coat with anything you want. Of course if your metal is not exposed you may use only Por-15 or POR 15 and topcoat with Chassis black, or Restomotive Labs other coverings.I have used these products with and without success. The times that it didn't work, I skipped a step. Follow the directions to the letter and it will work and last a lifetime.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I've used the tie coat before.

But a filler made to work over POR 15, Thats what every one has been looking for.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 03-22-2004, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

I used the body filler recently on my mustang rocker panels. I stripped them down applied POR 15, Resto grip filler, Tie coat primer, Straightline filler then Nason urethane primer. It turned out great. I never have to worry about the rust or bodywork popping out. I do caution on the Restogrip filler, it is hard to sand. It has fiber strand in it and is extremely strong and not so easy to work. The POR Patch is also a great product. It is POR 15 in a puddy form. Good for rusty body seams and floorboards! I almost sound like a POR salesman. Anyway their products are great, and they have outstanding coustomer service.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by troy-curt
I had a customer that wanted his entire car sprayed with Zero Rust,.... 6 months later he took it to the blaster to get the surface rust off, You couldn't tell anything had ever been put on it.
I am sorry but I just don't buy that story. Not wanting to start a flame war or anything but Zero Rust is a perfectly fine product.

It's effectiveness over POR has been well documented over on the Autobodyshop board.

http://www.autobodystore.com/new_page_1.htm

It does require that you follow the instructions. It is best applied in two coats of differing colours to ensure complete coverage. I did find some pinhole rusting of the product when I first tried it as a single coat of one colour. The area where I have used it on my car has been bombarded with salt and ice this winter and has held up very well. I left it without topcoat to see how it would be affected.

As I mentioned this same area showed signs of pinhole rusting within the first month after being spayed last spring. I gave it a light sanding and applied another coat of a different colour- black base, light grey top. The product fully cured is tough as a nails and I have seen no signs of rust while using it correctly.

BTW I am testing several products at the moment .....

I have a rusty shovel head out back where I have soaked in salt water now and then. Zero Rust has held up like new where the POR is showing signs of flaking around the edges - rust creep.

One other area I tested SEM Rust seal - a synthetic latex product has completely disppeared and been replaced with rust.

The section where I used navel jelly has shown signs of retarded rusting.

Last edited by asennad; 03-23-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:10 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

just my two cents. brushed on zero rust on my brake drums like 4 years ago and painted over them with some kind of black, probably spray paint. they still are shiney black not a spec of rust. used it on my trucks floor boards and floor, cant see under the carpet but i did paint black over that as well, the floorboards see water all the time from leaks in the weather stripping and no rust so far. ka-nock on wood
Old 03-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

You can buy the story or not, it really doesn't matter to me.
You use what you want to, and I will use what I want to.

I tried both products when they came out, and have been using Por 15 every since. And have NEVER had any problem with it. There will not ever be any more zero rust in any of my shops, it's junk as far as i'm concerned, but I hope it works for you.

If we all used the same thing, then there would be just one co. selling one product.

Troy.

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.