Thread: shocks
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk
I put brand new shocks on my '67 Olds Toronado, expecting that Caddilac floating ride. Nope, just an average, sometimes bumpy ride. If I recall correctly, the caddys from about, late 60's early 70's ( maybe always did ) had a different shock, from G M , it was not the same shock other similar sized cars used. O K , my problem is........ I can not get those shocks ! Even talking to Gabreil and Monroe, they don't know what I'm talking about, all they got are these gas filled things, which they both say are the correct direct replacements. Does any body out there know what I'm tal1kng about ? Also can I order a special flow rate or wharever it's called ? If so, what what would it be ????
Ya, they talked me into "Monroe 4 for 3 special" on my Lincoln TownCar and it rode like a Falcon.

Couple years later met a boss from the Monroe plant and he said....

"Absolutely, too stiff. That is what people want, more control... he said they made a softer one, but not as soft as originals.
Check with Auto Zone for their cheaper shocks. They don't last but 40,000 but they ride softer".

It's moot, but I think the 66-67 had a stiffer calibration than the later ones. Buddy still has a 70 Tor with no rust, but a UPS truck backed into the left front fender, (such language, )