Hot Rod Forum banner

Shooting fuel out the carb!!

23K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MontegoMX 
#1 ·
I appreciate all replies and anyone who takes the time to help me out. Just wanted to thank you in advance. Having problems with a small block chevy 350. Just rebuilt it. Using a Edelbrock 650 cfm thunder series carb and a fuel pressure regulator set at the recommended 5.5 psi. When cranking the engine the carb is either shooting fuel out or when the engine fires it shoots out huge flames. The needle valves on the carb are about a half a turn out from lean not rich. I have checked the engine timing as well as the distributor timing and it is right. The rotor points towards the #1 cylinder on tdc of compression stroke. Using an HEI distributor and the vehicle is a 77 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4. All vaccuum lines are hooked up right - triple checked. The only other thing I can think of is the spark plug gap, because edelbrock tells me what plugs to use yet doesn't tell me what to gap them at.

One other thing to add is when I hook up the ignition wire to the coil I don't get a spark when I pull it out and test it, so I ran a hot wire straight from the battery and when I test it on the chassis I get a good spark.

Question about the valves. When you are adjusting the lifters you adjust the valves until you get a slight resistance just enought to take out the slack right? You don't adjust the valves until you collapse the lifters? They are hydraulic lifters and roller rockers.

I just don't get it. The valves and the distributor are right and the vacuum lines are hooked up right. Just don't get why the carb is shooting fuel out. Also using an edelbrock rpm intake and heads along with a comp cam 480 lift 286 duration. :confused:

See less See more
#4 ·
when i bought my edelbrock 600 for my olds 330 i put it on and then fuel just started pouring out everywhere. and the guy that was helping me out said that the floats were stuck and that there is no way to fix it until you tear the carb itself apart. i just suggest buying a holley, the floats are adjustible. hope my input helps.

#5 ·
Sounds Like your firing order is off. I just had this same issue with a Rebuild I did 2 days ago. Keep playing with your firing order and you'll get it. Also keep in mind ( I know this is right for fords ) your distributor turns counter clockwise, so set it up in that order or make sure it is.

Good Luck

Buck B.

#7 ·
Hpbbster72 said:
I appreciate all replies and anyone who takes the time to help me out. Just wanted to thank you in advance. Having problems with a small block chevy 350. Just rebuilt it. Using a Edelbrock 650 cfm thunder series carb and a fuel pressure regulator set at the recommended 5.5 psi. When cranking the engine the carb is either shooting fuel out or when the engine fires it shoots out huge flames. The needle valves on the carb are about a half a turn out from lean not rich. I have checked the engine timing as well as the distributor timing and it is right. The rotor points towards the #1 cylinder on tdc of compression stroke. Using an HEI distributor and the vehicle is a 77 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4. All vaccuum lines are hooked up right - triple checked. The only other thing I can think of is the spark plug gap, because edelbrock tells me what plugs to use yet doesn't tell me what to gap them at.

............................................If you set the distributor with the rotor pointing to #1 and did not advance it then you are at zero degrees of timing. You may need to go to 10 degrees or so to get it running...

One other thing to add is when I hook up the ignition wire to the coil I don't get a spark when I pull it out and test it, so I ran a hot wire straight from the battery and when I test it on the chassis I get a good spark.

..............................................i am a little un clear at what you are saying here. Are you testing a plug to the chassie and getting spark or are you testing the 12 volt hot wire????

Question about the valves. When you are adjusting the lifters you adjust the valves until you get a slight resistance just enought to take out the slack right? You don't adjust the valves until you collapse the lifters? They are hydraulic lifters and roller rockers.

..........................................hyd lifters need to be adjusted by finding zero lash the going 1/2 trun to preload the lifter. if you just set them at zero lash that is probably most of the problem..

I just don't get it. The valves and the distributor are right and the vacuum lines are hooked up right. Just don't get why the carb is shooting fuel out. Also using an edelbrock rpm intake and heads along with a comp cam 480 lift 286 duration. :confused:
.......................................If you have been playing around for awhile with raw fuel running into the engine i would also remove all the spark plugs and spray some wd-40 into the cylinders. And chuck those plugs. if they get fuel fowled you may fix the problem but the engine will still not start because of the plugs being shot.

keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.