Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - shop air piping layout
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59 wagon man
not sure i would suggest a radiator for a water separator for a few reasons
1- contanimation from oil used in cutting and threading pipe used to connect radiator.

2- rust scale and debris can work lose ruining tools or paintjob
3- not sure if a radiator is designed to hold that kind of pressure. most steam or hot water systems only operate at a few psi not 100 psi or more. not really sure if this is safe
I have been known to make things work when others couldn't, mine has been up and running for more than fifteen years. Works good! Never had a problem with debris, just blew it all out real good before I hooked it up. It is a very old but in good shape cast iron type steam radiator. I would stay away from the sheet metal type.

The best way to remove water from compressed air is to chill it. Air below thirty two degrees can not hold water. The hotter the air the more water it can hold. I have often thought about cutting open a thirty pound air tank and then installing an evaporator in it. I would use what I know as bulk head fittings to pass the freon lines though the side of the tank. I would then weld the tank back up so that what you would have would be a tank with a cooling coil inside of it.

Another thing to look at is cooling the air before it goes into the compressor. That way it would dump most of it's water before it was compressed. This could be done with a small A/C window unit.

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 09-23-2010 at 06:00 PM.