Shop Apprentices - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
'54 Bel Air, LT1/4L60e

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shop Apprentices

Anyone know of any resto/rod/custom shops around that take in apprentices? I want to make this life my life's work but I've come up dry over the past two years trying to find a shop to take me in. I'm willing to relocate - In fact, I'd prefer to relocate!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I do not know about an apprenticeship, but a lot of smaller tech schools have programs for body/paint and mechanics.

The college I work for has them on the tech campus.

Taking those classes might get your foot in the door with some custom shop.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 PM
'54 Bel Air, LT1/4L60e

Last photo:

yeah, I tried to go that route.. I enrolled at Ohio Technical Institute's Classic Car Restoration program.. then they asked for a check for $28,000.00 Needless to say I'm not enrolled in the program. I'm learning it on my own the way the guys did in the '50's... I'm hoping to find an old timer that wants to take a guy under his wing, or a group of guys my age starting up wanting to take another guy on..

I appreciate your input though
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last journal entry: C4 IRS
Last photo:

Might want to change your profile name....just kidding.

I'm no pro....but sounds like you need to go where the action is. I was once there myself (wanted so bad to work for a big time hot rod shop....soo much to learn...and all of those kewl tools)....and I felt like I needed to move to California to get into a shop. A move just wasnt an option for me though. Around here....we see small shops pop up every now and then....they tend to starve and fizzle out around here. There just isnt enough interest. Its a shame too. I've seen some nice cars built locally. By saying California I'm in no way being prejudice to other parts of the country....custom shops just seem to do well there. Dang...I hope I'm not starting an argument of sorts. Not my intention.

Dave
Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 PM
'54 Bel Air, LT1/4L60e

Last photo:

"Stealin' love like a thief in the night." .. it's an OLD Jean Shepard country tune that Mike Ness re-did. Good song, you should check it out.

As for moving to cali... I want to. I've got friends in LA I could live with.. I would if I knew a shop would pick me up out there.. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just have a car payment and it would be unwise of me to up and leave on a whim without some sort of sustainable income.

Any takers?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:29 PM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief in the night
"Stealin' love like a thief in the night." .. it's an OLD Jean Shepard country tune that Mike Ness re-did. Good song, you should check it out.

As for moving to cali... I want to. I've got friends in LA I could live with.. I would if I knew a shop would pick me up out there.. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just have a car payment and it would be unwise of me to up and leave on a whim without some sort of sustainable income.

Any takers?
I know experience is everything to these guys....you may have to work in a local body shop and or mechanics shop to get a start. Try making some calls in the areas where your friends live and ask if any of them would take an apprentice....cant hurt! Trust me....your still young. Married? Kids? If so, I understand that would make it much harder. But, if your single, I sure wouldnt let a car payment get in your way of your dream. Sell that thing...get something cheaper....and grab that dream.

Oh my god. I never thought I'd be giving advice like this. LOL's. Can you tell I hit 40?

Just trust me. I doubt you'll regret it.

Dave
Old 09-20-2008, 09:33 PM
'54 Bel Air, LT1/4L60e

Last photo:

27, never married. no kids. nothing holding me where I am except a steady job doing something I do because I can, not because I want to. None of the machine/body/mechanics shops out here are hiring either. I do have a modicum of experience.. I took 4 years of auto shop in my high school (it was a respected program) and all of the classes at the local community college (steering/suspension, braking systems, electrical) ... plus i've built cars in backyards with friends. That just doesn't add up to much in the 'real world'

i'd sell the car if i could but i just bought it a year ago and still owe a ton of payments.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Don't give up on what you want.I always wanted to build hot rods for a living,Now I have more then I want.Sometime it isn't fun.It done turned into a full time job.Got to stop now and then to play with my own car's to get back into the groove. Start little in it will grow.You have to get your name out there.I started in a 32x22 shop.Now working on getting the land next to me to put up a 40x60 shop.Can't wait.

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 09-20-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:50 PM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last photo:

Quote:
27, never married. no kids. nothing holding me where I am except a steady job doing something I do because I can, not because I want to. None of the machine/body/mechanics shops out here are hiring either. I do have a modicum of experience.. I took 4 years of auto shop in my high school (it was a respected program) and all of the classes at the local community college (steering/suspension, braking systems, electrical) ... plus i've built cars in backyards with friends. That just doesn't add up to much in the 'real world'

i'd sell the car if i could but i just bought it a year ago and still owe a ton of payments.
I'd still make some calls. And keep calling back. Have your buddies send you a few phone books. Maybe someone on here lives in the area and knows some 'reputable' shops to call. That would be the only thing that would worry me about not already living in the area....actually getting into a shop that has a known good reputation. You need to know that if your willing to relocated...there will still be a job 3 years from now....and more.

Why do I keep nit pickin at you? I'll tell you why. I am 40 now and have had a lot more time to wish I had done a few things different in my life. Since I was just a pup, I have lived and breathed anything with a darn engine attatched to it. I mean that. It use to drive my folks crazy. All I cared about was car this and car that. I found out later in life (mid 20's) that I had a knack to make things. Got my 2 year associates in Electromechanical and started working as a maintenance man for Flexsteel here in Harrison. It was where I learned that I 'could' do anything I set my mind to do. Somewhere along the way I figured out that my abilities where only harnessed by the tools and equipment I could afford to buy. Man....the things I know I could fabricate if I only had the right tools. Anyway....my point is.....I really regret not doing what you yourself is interested in. I too had the same interest and really wish I had made the trip to CA. I'm not sure I would like the environment there....but I guarantee I wouldve loved being a part of the custom world!

Dave
Old 09-20-2008, 09:56 PM
'54 Bel Air, LT1/4L60e

Last photo:

I appreciate the nit-picking. I don't have anyone here to kick my *** and get me to wake up and live life. My dad's idea of 'custom' was putting a new steering wheel in his TR6. If I can't get ahold of any shops, my plan is to finish my '54. Pack what I can into the trunk, drive across the country and show up on their doorstep. I'll point to it and say 'here's my resume.'
Crazier things have happened I guess.. I need to start living, that's for sure.

Cleveland is devoid of any rockabilly girls... that's another problem!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 PM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last photo:

Quote:
I appreciate the nit-picking. I don't have anyone here to kick my *** and get me to wake up and live life. My dad's idea of 'custom' was putting a new steering wheel in his TR6. If I can't get ahold of any shops, my plan is to finish my '54. Pack what I can into the trunk, drive across the country and show up on their doorstep. I'll point to it and say 'here's my resume.'
Crazier things have happened I guess.. I need to start living, that's for sure.

Cleveland is devoid of any rockabilly girls... that's another problem!
LOL's. Surely there's a girl there that appreciates a cruise in a classic? Anyway, my dad was the same way. He always told me that putting money into an old car....you still just end up with an ole jalopy. And for soo many years he believed what he said. Now.....he wishes he supported me. Hmmm....seems there is careers and money to be made in the custom car world. I love my dad and we just had different ways of thinking. Guess what....now I've given him the bug. We'll be building a 41 Ford for him next year. You know....what you mention might just work. Finish your 54 and let them see the product. Seeing is believing. Document everything....with pictures.

You know....I find I like soo many different styles of cars/trucks....that my head spins. LOL's. Guess I'm just not biased at all. Love the vintage hotrods...what I call the 80's era (Prostreet)...and now I'm finding I love the newer Protour stuff. I'm thinking about doing something along the line of what New Interiors did with his home built truck. Maybe an open air sedan...only with a Euro flare. I love the way some of the foreign engines look when theyre all polished up. Maybe big Jag, Lexus, or even a Volvo engine. Even thinking about buying a wrecked Syclone and going all wheel drive on something. Who knows. New Interiors and Cboy have been a real inspiration for me.

Keep us up to date on what your up to!

Dave
Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
can i borrow 50 bucks?

Last photo:

Make yourself desireable to a shop. a good rod builder needs to know how to weld and fabricate. take some welding and fabrication classes. if you don't already have a mechanical background take some basic automotive classes. usually shops look for a well rounded person who has the basics. the hotrod specifics will be easily learned if you can do all the other basic tasks.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolter
I'm thinking about doing something along the line of what New Interiors did with his home built truck. New Interiors and Cboy have been a real inspiration for me.
Dave

Thanks Dave!!! I'm a Strong believer,And going after your dream's,Really the only thing in life that hold you back from your dream's is yourself.You can do anything you want to do.I don't put limits on myself.I may not be in the worlds best hot rod shop but it's mine.And GOD only know's I'm living my dream to the fullest. Keep heading forward in you will get there too.Believe me.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 AM
'54 Bel Air, LT1/4L60e

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick Special
Make yourself desireable to a shop. a good rod builder needs to know how to weld and fabricate. take some welding and fabrication classes. if you don't already have a mechanical background take some basic automotive classes. usually shops look for a well rounded person who has the basics. the hotrod specifics will be easily learned if you can do all the other basic tasks.
thanks for the input. I taught myself how to weld in my backyard. The only skill that I'm not proficient in is the fabrication. I've used plasma cutters, grinders, the whole bit, but i've never had to make a part from scratch. I figure that would come in to play as an apprentice.

I appreciate everyone's input. I think it seems the best thing I can do is just keep my nose to the grindstone and finish my own car then let it do my talking for me.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I had a friend of mine who got a part time job detailing cars in a body shop. He would hang around there (on his own time) and help the real body guys. They started teaching him how to do things and he ended up working in the shop and not detailing anymore.

Could be a way to learn more, if you have time.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.