shop electrical problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

shop electrical problem

Hope someone with some electrical experience can help me out. Wired a bunch of flourescent liht fixtures up in series. When i hooked it all up i seem to have power going into my ground wire? I have checked connections everywhere it all seems to be wired correctly the rest of my shop is fine its just this one series of lights and it happens to be the one with the most lights on it like 20. The only thing i can think of is i put a screw through a wire when hanging the fixtures. Would that cause this to happen? This is driving me nuts no wires touching anywhere i cant find the problem? Any help would really be appreciated> thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You mean you hooked them up in parallel I hope! Anyway, it sure sounds like you did cross wires somewhere and the only way to find that type of problem is start disconnecting the lights one-by-one and trying the circuit until you isolate the bad puppy. I too just finished installing shop lights (28 4'ers). Instead of hard wiring them to the feed wire, I wired the ceiling with regular old two-plug wall sockets in a row down the middle of the ceiling. Then all I had to do was hang the lights, one on either side of the wall socket, and plug it into the socket. Much easier to trouble shoot. Once my sockets proved OK, the lights had to work.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Yes i'm thinking there is something crossed i've gone one by one and i hit the spot where my problems start. Unfortunately i think the problem is in the ceiling thats going to be a blast just had insulation blown in a while back going to try to see if i can somehow bypass this light but its still hard to pin point the exact light. I had to move some to make room for my garage doors so i used junction boxes up in the ceiling. But the one wire that seems to cause the problem when hooked up seems to just be a straight wire from one light to another i dont understand how that one could cause the problem? I think i may have no choice but to climb in the attic and check it out.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

I'm an electrician by trade. I'm a little confused at how you know the power is going through the ground? Could you be a little more specific on exactly what is happening?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

well if you feel a ground wire is some of the fixture theres definately cureent going through there. i traced it back from the start to where i started having problems and found the wire that was the problem. seems like a cable strap pinched the wire its all fine now. thanks

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.