Hot Rod Forum banner

Shop floor

7K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  John long 
#1 ·
WARNING! WARNING! Horrible puns ahead!

After a couple of years of having my 40X60 shop with only a dirt floor - I finally did it. Smooth. level. compacted sand, vapour (vapor to our US cousins!) barrier, 5 inch Hi density styrofoam, mesh plus rebar, and then lay in the PEX tubing for hydronic floor heat.

Then last Saturday, 5 and a half inches of 34 MPA concrete, with fibreglass strands mixed in, laid in, and machine finished and polished.

I was just "floored" by the amount of "concrete progress" and "mortarfied" that I hadn't done it sooner!

(I warned you!) :D :D :D :thumbup:

#29 · (Edited)
waste oil burners

My wife's relatives have an auto repair business, and they save all the oil change oil all summer and burn it during the winter. their shop is about 10 K sq ft. It has the foam insulation and pex. I was to the Eastern Idaho State fair a couple years ago and there were a couple vendors with oil fired boilers and Wood fired systems that would take 4 ft logs. some states in the US are particular about Emissions and might not let you run an oil system unless it is certified. some of the systems run heated air into a secondary combustion chamber "smoke" burner. You probably find info by using google "used oil fired boilers" 4 or 5 companies on the first page. In the 70's Mother Earth News magazine showed how to make your own oil burner system. I was in Ireland in the 80's to resolve some manufacturing problems and one of the factories used waste wood, they fired up the system with 5 gallons of fuel oil every morning and ran the wood thru a chipper and mixed it with air to blow it into the burner. I asked why they didn't have plastic strip forklift doors and they said they were piling up too much wood and it was easier to burn it than haul to a land fill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.