Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Shop/Garage Heat? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/shop-garage-heat-31933.html)

Weimer 01-10-2004 10:30 PM

Shop/Garage Heat?

I am just curious what everyone here uses to heat their shop or garage with in the winter time. I know that it has been down to about 5*-15* here in Ohio lately, I have been doing alot of work out in the garage and it made me wonder what others use to heat their shop with.
I personally have a woodburning stove. I bought 2 loads of wood about a month or so ago and I have already went through about 3/4 of 1 load. I don't have a blower on it yet, my walls are insulated but my ceiling is open and my door is an aluminum non-insulated door. It heats a 2 1/2 car garage from ice cold to literally about 80* within an hour or so. I can't imagine what it would be like in there with a enclosed/insulated ceiling and door!!!
Later,
WEIMER

kitkar 01-10-2004 10:49 PM

I don't have the shop built yet, but I installed an outdoor wood furnace this summer, that heats the house easily (4500 sq '). All I have to do is add a another circ. pump, zone valve and the piping under the garage floor when I pour it. http://www.cozeburn.com/how.asp

kitkar

dinger 01-10-2004 11:03 PM

Just curious, Weimer, what kind of stove do you use? I install these in the winter months after my USDA season is over. Dan

Weimer 01-10-2004 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a WarmMorning stove (i think thats the name) I don't have a blower for it, I would like to get one sometime but I got a quote for one from a local stove shop and they wanted nearly $300 for it!!! I could go buy another stove for that $$.
I tried attaching a pic in my original post but it wouldn't show, here is what mine looks like , I had take a pic from another site though, so this one isn't mine.
Later,
WEIMER

BstMech 01-10-2004 11:27 PM

I had a small wood burner in a garage once that was 30x35. We took a fan and put behind it to blow some heat, it worked okay. I think what worked best was the fact that the wood we used was from the handle mill and was good 'ole hickory. The best part was that no matter how high the sides were on the bed of your truck it was $15 a load. We used to make that little stove glow red.

Now I use a little forced air Redi-heater that runs on kerosene. In my garage that's 14x30x11 high, it get's warm enough to take my coat off in about 20 minutes, a little longer if I'm not moving around too much.

Carbed95GT 01-10-2004 11:28 PM

Being a fellow Ohioan, who has to brave these blustery days, I use the Torpedo heater, aka Redi-heater. It gets the job done, but the garage isn't very insulated, and I end up smelling like Kerosene. In fact, I do right now. :cool:

BstMech 01-10-2004 11:34 PM

When you get dizzy and blue, it's time to step outside for some air. :D

345coupe 01-10-2004 11:34 PM

Waste oil heater

I saw this on a site, maybe this one.
Heater
It looks like a good, inexpensive way to go. A few hours of work and recycled parts and you are good to go. Everyone has gallons of oil sitting around taking up space. I may have to try it myself when the shop gets redone.

BstMech 01-10-2004 11:38 PM

Every truck garage I've worked at had a heater like that. You figure about eight gallons of oil every change and it adds up quick.

Carbed95GT 01-10-2004 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BstMech
When you get dizzy and blue, it's time to step outside for some air. :D
That only happens when it starts to cough and sputter (about 3 or 4 times a night). That's when you raise the door, air it out, give the Torpedo a short recess, then go right back to work. :D

bonuts 01-10-2004 11:43 PM

The one me and Dad built at his place is 30x36 (I think) 2 large bay doors. We ran all the plumbing for heated floors before pouring the cement, but we have not made it work just yet. So for now were burning wood (no blower yet). After this next project he's doing is done (a CRX with a crazy stupid lookin body kit) We'll hopfully be finishing up on the heated floors.

By the way the CRX is some kid I'm not related to's car.:thumbup:

bonuts

BstMech 01-10-2004 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbed95GT
That only happens when it starts to cough and sputter (about 3 or 4 times a night). That's when you raise the door, air it out, give the Torpedo a short recess, then go right back to work. :D
Daaammn, I've never gone long enough for the heater to choke on itself. Now that's TOUGH.....:thumbup:

4 Jaw Chuck 01-10-2004 11:55 PM

I use a single phase 220v-4800 watt shop heater commonly available anywhere to heat my 16X18 wall insulated but not roof insulated attached garage. An overhead ceiling fan has added enormously to the evenness of the temps in the shop, make sure you add one. It keeps the shop warm down to -40C but takes a long time to get there if it doesn't run all the time. I have a second one that I intend to mount near the door so that warm up times are less.

It takes about 6 hours to make it room temp in there if you start dead cold at -20C. It needs attic insulation to complete, I'm working on that now. I installed a swing out 3/4 hp barn vent fan and wood duct in the ceiling access hole for venting fumes into the attic during painting and vented the attic with a large gable vent. I also added round 3" vents in the soffits to help keep the ceiling cool in summer. I seal it off with a shaped piece of 2" blue foam that friction fits the square access hole for winter. The fan will suck the door seal right in so I intend to place removable square furnace filters sprayed with "tack-um" in removable square sections of the overhead door for fresh air intake when painting in summer. Since the garage is so small I have to make use of every square inch of space inside and I'm going to use retractable floor length plastic curtains along the walls to protect the lathe and shelving from overspray.

Its tight to work in sometimes but with the reorganization of the inventory and custom making benches to fit spaces that are open I have a very workable space. Sure miss the wood heated 24X24 6 inch slab floor garage I had when we lived in the boonies though, having room to rotate a car 360 on floor jacks is nice sometimes.

I am making do.:)

Carbed95GT 01-10-2004 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BstMech
Daaammn, I've never gone long enough for the heater to choke on itself. Now that's TOUGH.....:thumbup:
Actually, it's not tough. It pretty much gets down to the fact that I'm too damn cheap to buy one that works correctly, and isn't as old as I am, LOL. :)

BstMech 01-10-2004 11:57 PM

I hear ya'! :D