Shop lighting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 10:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shop lighting

My shop is 30w x 40d with 10' to 14' vaulted ceilings. It has a 10' x 40' loft over an 8' ceiling on one side for storage and the other side is 20' x 40' and open to the roof. I just purchased 8 double tube 4' fluorescents to light the 20' x 40' area. The ballasts are cold weather electronics with T8 4100 bulbs. The work areas over tools and benchs will be supplemented with incandescent track lighting where needed and the entire ceiling is white plastic vapour barrier( WMP 10 85% reflective) Will 8 fluorescents be enough to give me good general lighting or should I wire for more?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I would wire for more. Even if you don't put them in right now you will have it wired for later on down the road. When you do wire it, put extra switches in so you can switch half of them off. Incadescents just don't seem to throw off the light like a long tube does. I had 14 incadescents in my garage and with them all on still didn't throw off a bright light like the two halogen trouble light. I wish I had put up fluorescents but I don't like lights hanging from the ceiling to where they can catch dust.Iif I do put fluorescents in I will recess them in the ceiling. What I did do though was take out four of the incadescents (one in each corner) and replaced them with the 300watt halogen floodlights. They are a small housing but kick out some bright light. All four are aimed at the sides of the vehicle. I also added dimmer switches to the lights. Makes it kind of nice if you are hanging around the garage in the summer drinking some cold ones but don't want everything lit up. What you may want to consider too is whatever lighting you put up, have it either in fixtures or recessed. The local lumber yards have the recessed can lighting for around $10 apiece that uses the round incadescent flood lights. Some of them you can get lenses to cover the lamp fixtures. This keeps the bugs from hanging around on them. Just like hanging fluorescents...you ever look on the top of the fixtures at the end of summer? There will be so many dead insects on there. Nothing worse than painting a car and have a little breeze blow off a few into the top of the paint.

Kevin
Old 12-03-2003, 10:43 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have three 8' cold starts on the painting side of my barn (30x24) and the lighting is adequate. One more would be real good.
I use the same 8' lights in the machine shop ,which is 8x26, with two of them right down the center and also one over the workbench on the repair/work side. No problems with lighting so use that as a reference.
Mark
Old 12-03-2003, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

I just finished my 32x54 with restroom, office and paint booth, and in the general bay areas of the shop I have 10 -8 footers as you describe and only 10' ceilings. It is like daylight! I'd wire for more if I were you! You can always put pull switches to turn some off in areas you are not always in or just have them on different circuits.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:06 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have about 8 4' double tube lights in my 24 x 32 garage. I wish I had 2 times as many. They don't seem to put off near as much as they used to. Maybe they have the wrong bulbs in them, but it always seems too dark for me.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

You never have enough. Put in all you can afford, and wire for more in the future.

Troy

69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 12-04-2003, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Thanks everybody. I'll install my 8, but wire for 16. Did 'ya ever notice that anything that has to do with your "garage plan" needs to be doubled to be adequate!!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:16 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Lighting

In my 30x40 pole barn w/ 12' high ceilings, I use (8) 8' long - 4 tube T-8 32 watt bulbs. NO WHERE near enough light for me. Lots of shadows for working on the car.

If your going to paint, or do lots of body work, think about mounting them on the walls as well. Or at least have lots of outlets so you can hang the "plug ins" horizontal.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Just pull one extra phase conductor if you are running conduit. If you use MC then get 12/3. That way you can have 50% and 100%lighting or 25% and 75% etc. And have it controlled by two switches.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

I got lucky with garage lighting. I work for UPS and my area a few years ago included a large outlet mall. I roll up one day and see construction workers throwing light fixtures (2X4 4 bulb units) in the dumpster. Every one of the fixtures was in excellent condition with bulbs and covers. There were 25 total. I called my brother and we loaded up his rollback with lights and strapped them down. I have 7 of them in my 1- car garage. The stores go through a periodic remodel and what they throw away is unbelievable.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

I would be inclined to add more. I'd basically put them on 8' centers length wise. I also would ditch the 4100K lights and go to 3500K. The 4100's are a cool light will make your shop dreary. The 3500's are a more natural light and will make colors pop out, basically making for a more enjoyable work shop plus it'll help fool the eyes on reduced light levels, making it appear the light is greater then it is. Also you may want to think about some indirect lighting as well.

One last suggestion, it's more of a pain but maybe run 2 switch circuits on each row, alternating fixtures, so you can reduce light when you don't need or want it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.