Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shop lighting
Thread: Shop lighting
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 07:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by VWFan
IMO it is best to use the 8', 2 lamp, high-output, strip fixtures with a -20 degree ballast. This will be a reliable, efficient unit for any shop space and the -20 ballast will ensure that they don't flicker or make a lot of noise when it is cold outside.

They are about $80 each 8' fixture without lamps. Lamps are about $12 each. Depending on the manufacturer.

You will probably want to use two runs consisting of three strips end-to-end parallel with your 30" wall, the two runs spaced about 13" apart to get the best light spread. Does that make sense?

Use the 3500K lamps for the best color rendering.

You can get the standard 8' strips at Home Depot or Lowes for about $30 each less lamps. They will do fine as far as light, but the ballasts may have a tendancy to fail in some conditions (cold, dust, etc.).

I do project management for lighting for an electrical distributor... I do this all day, so if you have more questions just ask...

Good luck!
Great advice! Especially the 3500K lights. I'm a licensed electrician in NJ. I'm always amazed in areas that are trying to show cased with crappy light! Not a crititism but as a general statement that's more of an option is indirect lighting as well. This really acts as a finishing touch, taking care of shadows and giving the perception of more lighting then there really is, adding to the overall comfort level of the enviorment.

Once again, great info....especially for pointing out the 3500K lights.