Thread: Shop lighting
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by VWFan
IMO it is best to use the 8', 2 lamp, high-output, strip fixtures with a -20 degree ballast. This will be a reliable, efficient unit for any shop space and the -20 ballast will ensure that they don't flicker or make a lot of noise when it is cold outside.

They are about $80 each 8' fixture without lamps. Lamps are about $12 each. Depending on the manufacturer.

The 96T12HO 8" fixtures work great for a shop, especially a cold one. The single pin 8" standard duty lamps flicker sometimes for hours in any temp. below 50 derees. I put up six of the HO's in my shop and went with "Watt-Miser" green end bulbs to begin with, and later went to the silver-ended Comercial Duty lamps. The CD bulbs throw out more light and last a lot longer.

I was lucky when the whse. I maintain went to HPS (high pressure sodium) lamps and got rid of two dumpsters full of vintage 1969 Benjamin porcelain coated steel fixtures. I got my lights for nothing, with one small catch.. they were equipped with 277V. ballasts. I got my 120V. HO ballasts by the case, at 12 for $32.00 a pop. The bulbs were around $6 apiece, wholsale.
At any price, if your going phlorecent, these are a good choice.

PS - I installed my 8 footers on a 3" chain and hung them from the rafters on 2" eye-bolts.

Have fun

Last edited by PrimeMover; 12-26-2004 at 10:37 PM.