Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shop press questions. Making one.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The frame I mostly already have. It is made of square tubing(roughly 2 inches square or a little less), something close to 3/16" thick walls on the base and top with the uprights being slightly more than 1/8th thick. Just need to put a base in and reinforce the base. It is kind of an unusual spot. What is the side of my soon to be welding table. I am going to have the ram side on the upper side so it can be at roughly waist level. It will serve double duty as a vice. This way I can save as much space as possible. Got to organize the basement better and make it work for my projects.

I may wait till next week on the ram part. I could work on the frame a bit this week. But I am basically broke till the next paycheck. I was hoping I could make do with what I have. I have plenty of steel and the jack. So I thought I could whip something up real quick. May be able to find something in a pawnshop this week, didn't get up soon enough for any of them to be open today. Well went to one and put a little craftsman compressor on layaway. Which is part of why I am broke right now. That and Christmas shopping.

I know it may be hard to say, but do you think I could reinforce the frame enough to use a 20 ton jack? I checked harbor freight and they have the 20 ton jacks for like 40 dollars which is not all that much more than they want for the 8 or 12 ton jacks. But if I can find something decent local I might just go with that. I guess I am thinking outloud here and rambling a bit.