Short? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Short?

Have a strange electrical problem that has me stumped. Just installed a keyless entry for the electric doors but it doesn't work as well as it should. When I press the button on the remote, the solenoid opens the door and pops the fuse. Replaced the 30 amp fuse with a breaker so I don't have to keep buying fuses. It doesn't matter whether it is the passenger or drivers door. After the solenoid opens the door, the fuse blows. When I don't use the remote and just ground the relay the solenoid works, but the fuse does not pop, no matter how many times I repeatedly ground the solenoid. Same goes for the drivers door. Only when I use the remotes does this happen. I thought that the power that goes to the module is just there so that the module makes the ground for the relay, just as I was doing to work the solenoid. There has to be a short somewhere, but I don't know where to start looking. Any ideas as to what may be the matter or what I'm over looking?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Can I assume that the 30 amp bkr. feeds the module, the relays and the solenoids? If so, disconnect all the control channels from the remote module. Then operate the remote control. If the bkr. trips the module is bad.
If the bkr. does not trip try connecting a test light to each of the ground control channels to attempt to simulate the bkr. trip.
Also, the relay could be wired wrong.
Post the instruction manual or brand and model # for better responses.

vicrod
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Done what you told me and checked things with an ohm meter. The relays and module are operated by one power source and the other power source (through the fuse) operates the solenoids. Disconnected the two module channel leads from the relays and did a continuity test for each channel wire. There was no feedback until I pressed the button on the fob. One channel came back with a reading of 3.0 and the other at 3.1. After waiting a few minutes the breaker resets itself and I can ground the relays as much as I like to activate the solenoids, which leads me to believe that the wiring is correct for the relays. I've even changed the relays and the problem still persists. Could the solenoids be drawing too much current? They are both new ones.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

What trips the bkr?
The module or the solenoids.
Either one could be tripping the bkr. and still function.

vicrod
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Today the tech dept. of the unit that I bought got back to me about this problem. They were equally stumped but through some of the same procedure that you described (continuity test on each channel) they told me to change the position of the dip switches and then turn a rheostat that is found in the unit. I did this and lo and behold the breaker did not trip, but now there's another problem. If I press the button on the fob the solenoid trips, but if I press it again it doesn't work, unless I wait a minute or so. I've checked with my meter to see if there indeed was power to the relay for the solenoids and there was. The relay clicks, but the solenoid does not energize. I have to wait, I cannot press it in succession more than once and sometimes more than twice. The relays are 30/40 amp and I've changed them and they do the same thing. The only thing that I haven't changed have been the solenoids. I have some spare ones that I will try unless you can see something else that I should try.
Really appreciate your time and effort.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« fuel guage | Cs130? »