Short brake lights no signals(possible rewire) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 01:08 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Short brake lights no signals(possible rewire)

OK I put the tail light sockets in and I have no brake lights.I unplug the switch and I short accross the plug,the lights work.So I check the switch,but its good.Plug it back in it works,then it doesn't.Brush my hand against the harness coming out of the coluum and the plug and they work again.How should I go about this one.I'm not risking no brake lights.
Now when I turn the siganals on they're as dead as Jim Morrison.The 4ways work and the fuse is good for the directionals.Is it the Flasher??If so what am I looking for???The only flasher under the dash is the hazard flasher on the block.There is a plug hanging with one green and another light green wire on it,but the two terminals are strate accross.
Now I'm getting pissed.I'm thinking about buying one of those Mr.Gasket fuse blocks and rewiring my self.No BS just headlights,tails,dash lights,brakes,wipers and a hot for the radio.No courtesy lights,heater etc...just more crap to short out later.Now if I go this route,how do you get the siganals to work while the brakes are on being as its the same filiment on the bulb??

Advertisement

Last edited by 78 monte; 09-10-2003 at 03:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Have you checked the brake light switch?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:19 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

More than likely it's a bad crimp in the plug. IF you can get a good look at it I bet you'll find a wire that the insulation is holding into the crimp. By moving the wire you allow a few strands of wire to make contact thus it works for a short time (no pun intended) . You can get a pair of needle nose and pull on each wire, (not to hard) if it's hanging on by a tread it might just pull out of the socket. You could go to the junk yard and find another on an "pigtail" it into the circuit with in line crimps. Since it's made for the car it should match up wire color wise. This would save you having to pull the harness out. Just make sure if you "pigtail" onto the end to stagger the wire length. This way after you crimp it you can either heat shrink or tape the whole thing.

Regards
Mark
Old 09-10-2003, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

I dunno.All but two connections in the whole car are twisted,soldered and heat shrunk.And any loop connectors I use,I pull off the plastic squeze um solder um(solderless wire terminals LOL)and heat shrink um.
As for the brake lights there on now and messing with the wires won't make um go out now.So I'm not sure how to play that one.
But for siganals I haven't a clue.I don't evan know what the siganal flasher looks like as I usualy avoid automotive electrical work like the plague.Whats the flasher look like???
Old 09-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Yep probably a connection at the brake light switch, and be sure to adjust it. The flasher looks the same as the haz. flasher,it`s ether on the fuse block or a bracket on the lip of the dash, or a bracket on the column support. HTH

Good Luck
Troy
Old 09-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

78...if the wiring is all twisted,soldered, heat shrink tube, etc, have you considered something along the lines of Painless or EZ wiring and redo the whole thing new? I know you have some time in it but will you completely trust it afterwards. Weimer rewired his neighbors Camaro in a day and a half. He said it was a piece of cake and the car actually ran better after getting rid of all the crap wiring. Just a suggestion.

Kevin
Old 09-11-2003, 02:27 AM

Last photo:

Well I found were the flasher needed to be,now I have signals.But get this.They work oposite the signal lever.Yepper!!!!Signal right and left flashs(frt and rear)signal left and right flashs.I got a color code chart and directions for checking steering coluums online and the signal wires were opposite the chart when I checked the wires according to the destructions.
Should I pull the wheel and change the wires on the sigal switch or just switch and splice them under the dash?????
The brake lights havent been playing games,so I'll go through the connections at the coluum and make sure there tight.I think its the coluum to harness connector.
Kevin45,just yesterday I was drooling over my buddies Ron Francis wiring harness new in the box for his 41 Willys.Mini fuses,screw on terminal lugs for each circuit and each circuit is neatly bagged and tagged with all terminals and directions you could ever need for each circuit neatly bagged with the wire.
I would love to get a painless or something but cash prohibits right now.Really my harness aint that butchered(well maybe),the only real splices are at the light sockets and the dash gauges and and and and LOL
Old 09-11-2003, 06:08 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

You can get the EZ Wire harness for 165.00 and can be put in during the course of a couple of days. the fuse box is similar to the factory GM units and the wires are the same color as the GM harness. By the time you run down all the problems you could have it changes and have a reliable harness with no shorts. I have installed the Francis unit also, but I think it is a bit on the pricey side.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

Just switch the wires in the plug.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by troy-curt Just switch the wires in the plug.
Yea,I was thinking of that.I tryed a little to get the factory terminals out of the harness plug,but I didn't want to break it off in there so I stopped.Is there a trick to getting it out or do I just keep playin with it till it comes out???
There is a part that unsnaps that looks like it is to hold the terminals in,it has little black plastic holder prongs to each terminal,but evan unsnapped I can't get them out.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

You have to insert something small ,like a small pocket screwdriver in beside the terminal and depress the retaining tab,then it just comes right out, you may have to spring the tab back up to make it stay in when you put it back in. Good Luck

HTH
Troy
Old 09-12-2003, 01:17 AM

Last photo:

Troy-curt thanks.I switched them and it works RIGHT now.Once that black plastic thing was unsnapped there was little tabs that held it in,had to press them down then push it through the front,then bend another tab strate and pull it through the back.
Got everything done in the car the pain in the *** is finally completely wired.And being as I had the dash apart and everything else under the sun,I checked all terminals and splices and redid any I wasn't satisfied with.And I also bundled each group of wires(headlights,gauges etc...)together with tiewraps so if I ever need to get in there again I don't have to play"Find the proper wire in the spagetti"game anymore.
I have decent grasp on electric,but car wireing I allways hated,cause I'm not familiar with the color codes and systems,so the simplest thing turns into pulling the harness half out of the car and ohm meters and test lights and tylenol.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:22 PM

Try this, wiggle the turn signal lever back and forth a little. Sound like you have a problem in the column. All the tail lights and turnsignals run through turn switch.

let me know if this is not it. Or is it for that matter.

J
Old 09-13-2003, 12:36 AM

Last photo:

Beg your pudden but the taillights do not go through the turn signal switch.

Troy
Old 09-24-2003, 09:44 PM

check your turn signal switch close your tail lights dont go through it but your brake lights can if your switch is bad it will feed back remember your brake light circuit is the same as your signal

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.