Originally Posted by Switched
I have a '94 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, 2.4L engine.
Everything is running fine, as far as I can tell. I have recently replaced a bad battery and have tested my charging system for any problems that may have caused the old one to go bad.
I disconnected my negative battery cable and, with a voltmeter, tested the loose cable lead with the negative terminal. I got twelve volts from the terminal to the cable. Do I have a short in my charging system?
What you DO have is probably a normal drain by Vehicle computer keep alive line, and CD/Radio Presets (memory) and clock..
This is commonly confused by measuring Voltage for Amps..a .03 Drain (which is normal for a Modern vehicle) Will ALWAYS be 12 volts..12 Volts at .03 a will not drain the battery anytime soon..12 volts at 4 amps will kill it in a few hours..
Retest using the AMPS scale, set the meter for the HIGHEST setting (usually 10 amps) and be careful you don't exceed that amount for anytime or you'll damage the meter, (or use a 5 amp fuse on the probe) 0.03 to 0.08 is Normal and acceptable..anything higher, you have a branch circuit draw or bad diode packs in the alternator/regulator.