Short = Fried Computer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 05:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face Short = Fried Computer?

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this board, but it's a BIG one hope someone can help me. Thanks in ahead of time.

I have a very complex problem, especially with it being electrical. I just had a new motor and transmission put into my car, and I got it back this past Saturday. I have a 89 Iroc 5.7 TPI w/ auto tranny and electric fans(read on ). I had a 350 mostly stock except for a cam, and a 700r4 with a stage ii shift kit put in.

I have a stereo in the car, and I had all the wires ran and secured before I dropped it off. When I got it back I put the fuse back into the amp power wire (+12v). I was driving that night and stopped to eat. When I when back to the car to start it, it tried to start then everything went dead. It was in a zombie like state; when you tried to start it NOTHING would happen everything was dead… completely.

I opened the hood and saw they did not secure my amp wire after cutting some zip ties and such. It had grounded out on an AC line. So I switched out the battery for it. It started right up and was running perfectly fine. Then I went to turn on the head lights and everything went completely dead… again! I sat in confusion trying to think wtf happened… I unhooked the battery’s positive terminal, waited and connected it to the battery, it started right up and ran perfectly smooth. The car didn't cut out or sputter.

So I turned on the flashers and started driving home in the dark. I made it half way before everything went dead again (it was all down hill from this point though ). I saw on this board about the circuit breakers and relays… I replaced some relays and circuit breaker, but nothing worked. So I unhooked all the wires from the starter to check the fusible links. They were all showing good, so I attached everything back up to the starter. It started right up and stayed running. I noticed that my battery light was bottomed out (no charge); windows were very slow, etc… We check the battery and alternator, and found the alternator was bad. We replaced that and everything was fine, until I noticed the fans were not coming on… We checked the fans (pulled them out and hooked power to them and they worked), the sending unit, and some relays… they all showed good. The only thing left is the computer, but can this be? The car runs perfect as long as it is moving, and with it being winter it very cold. So if the computer was bad wouldn’t there be more things messing up not just the fan?

Thanks to everyone who reads this and tries to help me.

Advertisement

Last edited by gatroae; 12-15-2003 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2003, 07:59 PM
you talkin to me?

i had an 89 formula 350 with the same type of problem it ended up being the ignition switch
Old 12-15-2003, 11:52 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Did you happen to look for any fried wires after the short? When the amp shorted out it could have taken out some small control wires or something. You might see if you can rent a computer diagnostic tool from your local parts house and just check and see if your ok. If you have no check engine light and it's smooth I would suspect you computers ok.

Regards
Mark
Old 12-16-2003, 11:16 AM

I did find a wiring harness by the radiator with about 5 wires in it that was fried. I replaced that but it did not fix the problem. I also was told that if you took a wire running to a sensor between cylinder #6 and #8 and grounded it out that it should turn the fans on. It was some type of backup sensor or overheat sensor. That did not kick the fans on so I was told it my be the computer. We were going to try the ignition switch but i was told that would mess with the car starting, and it starts fine without a single problem. I'm not sure what the ignition switch does exactly though... I am pretty new to all this. What exactly does it control.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like the relay may be def., it should be pass side firewall? Doubt very much it's the computer!That sensor is the fan switch!The fan should come on @ about 218 +-.Try the defroster or a/c, that should turn on the fan, if it does, replace the fan switch, if not the relay!
Old 12-16-2003, 07:11 PM
you talkin to me?

to turn the fans on you have to disconnect the fan relay and use a wire to bypass it. ignition switch controls alot of your accesories
when mine went bad the car would stall sit for a while start and keep doing it the windows wouldnt work nor the radio or the fans.
as soon as i replaced it everything worked fine and i never had problems with it stalling again.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:47 PM

Well I changed out the computer in the car and they started working fine. Once i saw my temp gauage get to about 220 they kicked on and brought the temp back down. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was lost until i heard some of your guy's thoughts on the matters.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.