Short SBC Single Plane w/Rear Water Ports - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Short SBC Single Plane w/Rear Water Ports

Just wondering if anyone else has already tackled this headache. I'm looking for a short carb height SBC single plane intake that also has provisions for rear water ports (3/8" NPTS in the back blocked spots). Something the height of a 2975 Victor JR would be great - that is around 4.580" carb height, but Edelbrock does not make one with ports and it looks like I will be in the distributor hold down flange if I just drill and tap the stock there. This leaves me with finding something that will work or welding in a vertical round slug on a Jr. and then tapping it vertically to clear the distributor hold down.

The fun, the fun. The Super Victor is an inch taller and has the ports - so I could use one of those and then it looks like I could machine 1/2" back off the top of the carb mounting flange to get me somewhat close - just a lot of work to make something happen. Gotta love height restricted applications!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 PM

Last journal entry: new et streets
Last photo:

re: Short SBC Single Plane w/Rear Water Ports

i think the professional products hurricane manifold is the same height as the jr. but also has the water ports in the back i think they're a little cheaper like 60 bucks or you can pick up a polished one for about the same price as the jr.

the website is speedway motors http://www.speedwaymotors.com/High-P...-360,7130.html

or polished is http://www.speedwaymotors.com/High-P...-360,7131.html

super victors also have the rear water ports
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the link - I ended up solving the problem today - ended up using an older Strip Dominator with some thick intake gaskets to get the ports to match up fairly well to what I had. The distributor hold down was clocked a little more than the Edelbrock so we were able to drill and tap the rear of the intake for water.

Just fyi if anyone stumbles on this thread in the future: The Hurricane measures out almost identical the the standard Super Victor (have both sitting in the shop right now) and they are right about an inch taller than the Jr. I bought a Hurricane last year - port matched and cleaned it all up, and on install found it was about an inch to tall - doh! Oh well, someday it'll be used
Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 PM

Last journal entry: new et streets
Last photo:

re: Short SBC Single Plane w/Rear Water Ports

do you want to sell the hurricane i need one

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.