Short youtube vid of my engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Short youtube vid of my engine

Hello guys here is a short vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KttYidFUoco I shot last summer after I just had my 350 built. I recently changed the cam with a slightly bigger comp big mutha thumpr cam and switched out the intake and carb with an edelbrock air gap rpm performer and a quick fuel 650 q series carb. Sorry about the crappy quality but I was just holding the camera and not really paying attention on what I was recording until I was over my engine. I will have to make a new one with better quality and after I get my new timing chain installed this week.
Eric

Advertisement

Last edited by eric32; 06-14-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Sounds very nice!!! How do you like the performance from the thumpr cam?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:48 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That sounded pretty good. I can't wait until you take another video of this engine.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Well in that video I had a crane powemax roller cam with 234/243@ 50 duration with 539/558 lift and it had a lot of torque and a lot of power on the top end quite well. I switched to the big mutha thumpr roller cam cause I wanted a more chopppy idle it specs at 243/257@50 with 537/519 lift. It does about the same but man what a headache for trying to tune my carb I am still trying to get it to stay running in gear and it just wants to quit. I did not have too much of a problem with the powermax roller cam and kind of wish I have kept it. I am going to make a new video with my mufflers off once I get my new timing chain job done and hope all goes well with it. Thanks for the nice comments I appreciate it.
Eric
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

With the increased valve open overlap on the MTH cam you need a lot, lot lot more idle spark timing. Lock out the mechanical advance timing curve and set the timing at 34-36deg at idle.
Replace the power valve with a 3.5" rated (holley) or replace the power piston
step up springs with the lightest pair (edelbrock performer)

(holley) Remove the carb and flip it over and equalize the throttles opening and idle transfer slot exposure (.020-.030" front and back barrels).
Reinstall and don;t touch the throttle idle speed setting.

Make sure the PCV is hooked up to the base of the carb and the other valve cover is vented.

Fire it up with full timing at idle (34-36deg BTDC base timing (locked out, no mechanical/centrifical advance), warm it up completely first and readjust the idle mixture screws for best idle.

Should idle rough but rock steady at 850-900 rpm in gear.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Hello thanks for the help but I have a quickfuel 650 carb wich is like the holley hp but I don't know if parts will interchange with each other or not. I will give it a try. I currently have my truck on jack stands I am changing out my timing chain. Thanks Eric
Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Yeh I thought that didnt sound like a thumper cam. Cant wait to see the new video with the thumper.
I myself want the mutha thumper in a sbc 400 I might be building.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM

I just put the muthr thumpr in my sbc 350. Sounds great! Now I'm just trying to tune it!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Well the cam I just replaced it with is the big mutha thumpr roller cam. Its the biggest one that comp cams makes for sbc. Its 243/257@50 duration and 537/517 lift. I have yet to hear it with open headers. I will get it soon just have to finish my timing chain install. I damaged my radiator and am getting a new one and also my cloyes timing cover had a hair line crack in it so I sent it back to jegs for replacement. Just waiting for part. Thanks for the nice comments.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.