Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

And for those that missed my first post here it is again minus the "illegal" stuff lol

hey guys this is real. i am a general manager at an acetylene production facility in decatur, alabama. our carbide supply has been completely cut off. the carbide industries plant in kentucky is the only carbide manufacturing facility in north america and we have no clue as to when the carbide supply will open up again. all the major companies have put their customers on alottment and i cant get ANYTHING for myself and my customers because i am competition.....or at least i was. i have been on the phone and email for two weeks trying to arrange a shipment from overseas but thats going to take at least a month. soon we will get some sort of flow going but expect prices to skyrocket because the destroyed plant fed about 60-70% of the acetylene market while western and airgas picked up the rest. now its down to the two and at the current rate they cant keep up with demand. their are many plans across the states to get some kind of supply so bear with your local company and maybe we can rebuild this industry soon. There is a product out there called magnegas that is made from recycled hydrocarbons (ie antifreeze, burnt oil, etc) that outperforms propane and propylene and is as hot if not hotter than acetylene. You can do your own search for them as I now know not to put links up. Plus with the magnegas the fumes are nowhere near as harmful to you. But you can see it for yourself