Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Still waiting on an email from magnegas. I know you can weld with it but I don't have specifics yet and I'm not a welder I just run a fill plant. I was breaking down cost earlier and basically it takes two 185 cf bottles to equal 1 60# propylene bottle. Around the southeast propylene is running around $1.20 a pound and you get around 250-260 cf out of it so say roughly $70 for the propylene. The magnegas is probably going to go for around $20-$30 for 185 cf so for less than the cost of propylene you're getting 100 more cf. Plus if this shortage continues propylene and propane will jump as well. This is America where if a guy can make an extra buck he will. You can figure the price of it all yourself based on magnegas running around 30-35 cents a cf (this depends on your local market) and propylene/propane running at your local price with a yield of 4.32 cf/lb and 8.5cf/lb respectively. Hell you can make a buck and save a buck as well.