Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=oldred

The reason I got a bit peeved is seeing the usual wild claims of "Hotter than Acetylene"! (It's obviously not) "outperforms Acetylene"! (but in what way?) Just be realistic and forget the fantastic claims, call it like it is, a decent replacement for Acetylene for some applications and produced from an environmentally friendly source. These are good attributes and are real pluses for this gas so why use mis-leading hype?[/QUOTE]

If I may ask a question here, without stealing the thread. I have never give a hoot how hot my torch was, just so I could cut and weld with it.
Now red said that Acetylene would get up past 6000* F, J&M's posted that the Magne gas would get to 5580* F,. I think I'm right in saying depending on tip size for both.

Now we know how hot each gas will burn, but what I couldn't fine is how hot the metal you are welding must be. ( I know each metal will have it's own melting point.) But say we are using plain old Iron. What is the puddling Temp. so you can use filler rod, I have no idea, and you fella's know more than I when it comes to Temp. on these gases.
Is the 6000* F overkill, when the 5580* F would be more than enough. Would the Magne Gas work for most home projects, I know it could be 450* to 750* F difference.
It is something I would like to know after reading the posts.

Thank you

Bob