Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
If I may ask a question here, without stealing the thread. I have never give a hoot how hot my torch was, just so I could cut and weld with it.
Now red said that Acetylene would get up past 6000* F, J&M's posted that the Magne gas would get to 5580* F,. I think I'm right in saying depending on tip size for both.

Now we know how hot each gas will burn, but what I couldn't fine is how hot the metal you are welding must be. ( I know each metal will have it's own melting point.) But say we are using plain old Iron. What is the puddling Temp. so you can use filler rod, I have no idea, and you fella's know more than I when it comes to Temp. on these gases.
Is the 6000* F overkill, when the 5580* F would be more than enough. Would the Magne Gas work for most home projects, I know it could be 450* to 750* F difference.
It is something I would like to know after reading the posts.

Thank you

Bob

Those temperature differences could mean a great deal in some instances but not for normal cutting where even LP at a much lower temperature works quite well. The temperature for the gas in question here is well within welding range and temperature was never the question as far as welding, it is the flame chemistry that determines whether it can be used or not. Even lowly Propane could get most metal hot enough to weld with but like almost all fuel gasses it has way too much Hydrogen to be usable for that purpose and I suspect the same will be be true for this gas especially considering it's base source, just to be fair however that still remains to be seen.