Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&MCylinderGases
Just got a reply from magnegas president. He is gathering information for me and will email me later. He tells me anything you can do with acetylene you can do with magnegas and if he doesn't email me he will be here Monday at my plant and I'll find out then and try to video a demo of the welding side of it.

Sounds like he simply does not have the specifics at hand, odd since this is such a major industry breakthrough, and if he is going by the fact that the gas is nearly the same temperature that is a non-starter! There is a lot more to it than just getting the metal hot and Acetylene is unique in it's chemistry in that it is the only gas (so far) that can be adjusted to a true neutral flame. Anything else (so far) can not be adjusted to a neutral setting because of the chemical make-up, mostly too much Hydrogen, and the fact that Acetylene has the ability to produce a Carbon Dioxide cone over the weld puddle that acts as a shielding gas. It would be interesting to see how this new stuff can do all this without actually being Acetylene but to be fair maybe it is close enough.

Just consider however that for over 100 years Acetylene has been the hottest gas and the only gas that was practical to weld with known to industry and now suddenly another gas claims to be all these things and more and the first place we hear of it is on a website? Forgive me if I am a bit skeptical and want to see some real proof!