Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok they say the gas is 5580 F, 5800 F and now 6100 F when they decide which it is let us know. Again to be fair Acetylene in extreme situations can be as little as around 5800 F to over 6300 F in the right situation so conflicting numbers here don't really mean a heck of a lot but they still need a standard for comparsion. This stuff really does sound good and I am sure it is far better than Propane from a performance standpoint but then so is MAPP. The excess Oxygen is interesting and would seem to preclude any chance of it being usable as a welding gas plus if it is putting 12.5% of the Oxygen back into the atmosphere is that Oxygen coming from the tank (as in being wasted)? A flame with a 12.5% Oxygen excess would really make for some interesting welds don't you think? I can see maybe where that O2 excess in the preheat flame of a cutting torch could not only help increase the cutting speed but it would seem also that it might actually make cutting a bit less of a challenge for someone who has trouble holding a torch steady.

EDIT, I see now where the excess O2 is coming from so waste is not a problem but it looks to be a serious problem for use as a welding fuel!

Last edited by oldred; 04-01-2011 at 04:12 PM.