Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred

Just consider however that for over 100 years Acetylene has been the hottest gas and the only gas that was practical to weld with known to industry and now suddenly another gas claims to be all these things and more and the first place we hear of it is on a website? Forgive me if I am a bit skeptical and want to see some real proof!
Red, You know way more than me on this, but may I try to make a point.
You made the statement, now suddenly another gas claims to be all these things. I don't really think that is a fair statement, my reason.
My wife was told she had breast cancer, and it was in her lymph nodes, now people have known about cancer, and when it gets in your system, it was dig the grave, my brother has lung cancer, that was almost always a death sentence. For people that are not around it or know someone with it, we sure didn't know how much they have improved your chances surviving these.
Acetylene has been around for 108 years used for welding, you yourself knows they have been trying to come up with something else, now they might have found it, suddenly which took 108 years. They are working on things all the time you never hear of, unless you are close to it. And as far as making big news, ways to cure or slow down cancer, no one ever hears of until you are dealing with it. So to say it suddenly comes out, is to me a unfair statement, unless you know that they came up with it one or two years ago. You sound like you know your facts on Acetylene, and other gases way more than I would want to know, as long as it works I'm fine with it. This is an interesting read, So I thought I would put my 2 cents in for what it's worth.

Bob

After looking at the site Dave put up, this gas seems to be a renewable fuel that you can cut clean with. I see where it took the guy 30 years to come up with a way to make it. I did not see where it could be used for welding.
Red you seem to be right on the money. Who said you couldn't teach an old dog new tricks, this was very interesting. Thanks red.

Last edited by 35terraplane; 04-01-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add