Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The more I see of this stuff the better it looks HOWEVER let's call it what it is! I had a similar discussion with a guy about MAPP some years ago and he had PROOF that it was Hotter, Cleaner, Cheaper and would do Anything Acetylene would do, he had PROOF! From what I am seeing, and this is ONLY my opinion, this gas is between MAPP and Acetylene as far as a cutting fuel and most likely cuts cleaner than either of them. What I am impressed by is how clean and Earth friendly the stuff is both in use and production, it seems to have a lot going for it but if it can't be used for welding then it would seem to be of little use in a home shop setting. Certainly it would have some neat advantages over Propane but I still have yet to see anything that would outweigh the cost and convenience advantage of Propane. Gas welding is very important to me and to others here, that is what started this thread, and while alternative cutting fuels to Acetylene are readily available none are suitable for welding-brazing yes but not welding.