Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shortage of Acetylene!
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalreach
I agree that some of the comments by the inventor on the MagneGas website sound out there and he is definitely a "special" kind of guy but the gas really works.

Sure it works for cutting just as do several other alternative fuels but it's still not a welding fuel and even he finally admitted that, it is just another alternative fuel like a few others but with a "snake oil" sales pitch. It may be a good fuel from an environmental point of view but outside of maybe some special application in industry because of temperature/cost per BTU, etc it would seem to do nothing for a user with a hand held cutting torch that several other fuels don't do just as well-some at lower cost. It is NOT a welding fuel and as such would be useless to our hobby except for cutting and heating and we already have cheaper easier to obtain alternatives to Acetylene for that, that post is nothing more than another sales pitch!

BTW, Acetylene availability is back to normal around here but somewhat higher in cost now, the salesman at the supplier where I buy mine told me the actual supply they have is still a bit limited but so many of his customers switched to Propane and Propylene that he don't sell enough Acetylene to come up short anymore. If a person is only using a torch for heating and cutting then Acetylene is still somewhat better but not nearly enough to justify the huge extra cost.