Shortage of Acetylene! - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have always used the same Victor regulators and hoses with both LP and Acetylene, sometimes an adapter is needed, depending on which fitting your Acetylene tank has, to fit the regulator to the tank but those are easy to find. I am not 100% sure about the Smith torch since I have not used one in many years but I am fairly sure all you will need is a tip, any Smith owners here that can verify/correct that?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 PM

That was the short fast technically best "can't lose" answer without an explanation.

There are a bunch of threads on Millerwelds and Weldingweb with exhaustive details if you are interested.

If your actylene reg internals are compatible with acetylene and you don't need more pressure than the limited output delivers, you can use your reg. I don't know what model reg you have. Call Smith customer service to verify your model or research online.

T-grade hose is specified for propane. Many folks self included use (good) R for years, but I don't know if YOUR R is compatible. If it leaks and you burn down the ranch it won't be because of my advice.

When I buy a regulator I get the best I can so it will last the rest of my life with maybe a rebuild or two and flow enough for any cutting I'll require. I don't know if you do a lot of cutting, or plan on a larger torch, but that will handle it.Otherwise, Smith LP and Propylene regs are available in various sizes.

Per an email from Victor customer service all their acetylene regs work with propane.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, my regs are victor....torch is Smith. The regs are probably 35 yrs old but work. So its possible my Victor reg will work with propane? What pressure does propane have to run at for cutting with say, an #0 size up to #2 tip?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas350
Sorry, my regs are victor....torch is Smith. The regs are probably 35 yrs old but work. So its possible my Victor reg will work with propane? What pressure does propane have to run at for cutting with say, an #0 size up to #2 tip?

The regulators will not "possibly" work they will DEFINITELY work and I have one that has been running LP for 26 years now! As far as fuel gas pressure you just need enough pressure so that the flame can be adjusted to break away from the tip then add about 2 to 3 PSI, basically you will use about 5 to 7 PSI. What a lot of guys don't seem to understand is that fuel gas pressure is not important as long as it is high enough to deliver enough volume to the tip, the flame would not know the difference between 5 PSI and 15 PSI if 5 PSI was enough to deliver the correct volume for the tip size. That is not true for the Oxygen however, it would be true for the preheat flame but Oxygen pressure is critical for the cutting stream and using a chart not only makes a big difference in cutting quality but can save a bunch of O2!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Red, should I replace the hoses?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Two things you MUST do:

1. Switch your tip to a propane tip.
2. Switch your hose from an R-Grade to a T-Grade.

If you are doing a lot of heating then it is recommended to switch you regulator to a propane regulator to get higher pressures. If you are doing basic cutting then the acetylene regulator will serve you just fine.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar_XR7
If you are doing a lot of heating then it is recommended to switch you regulator to a propane regulator to get higher pressures.

Just a bit more on that, the larger Regulator for heating is for volume not higher pressure and for the same reason larger hoses would be required unless he is already using large hoses. This however is only required for a very large heating tip which would only be necessary for heating to bend large pieces.

Let me clarify that a bit because it sounds as if I was disagreeing with Cougar about the LP regulator but that was not my intention. The LP regulator does indeed allow a higher pressure because LP is stable at pressures above 15 PSI while Acetylene is not. My point was that higher pressure than the Acetylene regulator will deliver is not needed at the tip but of course higher pressure from the regulator will deliver higher volume through a smaller hose. Again for all but very heavy heating chores an Acetylene regulator works just fine, depending on the size of course.

Last edited by oldred; 04-19-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM

The way to tell if your acetylene regulator cannot keep up is simple. If you have to crank it over 15 psi and it isn't flowing enough volume, get an LP regulator!

I wouldn't want to bottom out the regulator adjusting screw on an acetylene regulator for fear of horking the poppet. I don't know if most regulators "run out of threads" first. It would be smart but I didn't think to bottom out any of my "cores" before throwing away the consumable parts.

Quote:
Just a bit more on that, the larger Regulator for heating is for volume
Yep, which is why if you get an LP regulator, get a high flow heavy duty one so you'll never need another. No point in buying twice.

Most folks won't need an LP regulator. Check thy tech support though, especially if you have some ChiCom off-brand unit.

Did some outdoor cutting with propane today, and was reminded how much easier it is to drag an oxygen cylinder and a separate BBQ jug.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930case
Did some outdoor cutting with propane today, and was reminded how much easier it is to drag an oxygen cylinder and a separate BBQ jug.

Also did you remember how much easier an Acetylene rig is to light on a windy day?

As far as the ChiCom torches, all bets are off when switching fuel with them!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Also did you remember how much easier an Acetylene rig is to light on a windy day?
I'm used to it (crack the O2 etc), but if it's ever a problem whatever tip I'm using will promptly grow a hunk of copper pipe over the end as a DEEP flameholder.

It works flawlessly (using a hunk of Tweco MIG gun tip) on the Victor acetylene rosebud I converted for propane. Experimenting is more fun than buying rosebuds.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Looks like they are importing and breaking bulk til they rebuild.

http://www.fox41.com/story/14432197/...atal-explosion
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I can cut with my Airco MAPP welding torch on Propane.. takes a bit of pre heating, but with the air jet, it actually cuts fairly clean
Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930case

Interesting, thanks.

Brian
Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 AM

OneSteel - Now a MagneGas Customer

I was referred to this thread by a CR4 Engineering discussion on MagneGas and wanted to update the situation.

It is growing quite fast and larger users are also starting to join the ranks of customer:

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 03-09-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Don't bet on it I still see some red flags here, like the line about the guy spending thirty years developing a way to make this gas? Sounds like a good sales pitch and a noble effort but really? Maybe so but it still smacks of the "Miraculous energy discovery" quac..., err inventors, how come it's always thirty years? Then I still have a problem with the site calling the gas a "cutting and WELDING fuel" but with zero findable info on welding and little to no more mention of such an industry shaking accomplishment. Why on Earth would they only make passing reference to accomplishing what has not been done in over 100 years-developing an alternative gas that can weld and is supposedly hotter than Acetylene? If that were true then they should be on the cover of every welding magazine in the world and would have industry beating a path to their door but they just causally mention these things such as welding?
I agree that some of the comments by the inventor on the MagneGas website sound out there and he is definitely a "special" kind of guy but the gas really works.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.