Shortage of Acetylene! - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred

Just consider however that for over 100 years Acetylene has been the hottest gas and the only gas that was practical to weld with known to industry and now suddenly another gas claims to be all these things and more and the first place we hear of it is on a website? Forgive me if I am a bit skeptical and want to see some real proof!
Red, You know way more than me on this, but may I try to make a point.
You made the statement, now suddenly another gas claims to be all these things. I don't really think that is a fair statement, my reason.
My wife was told she had breast cancer, and it was in her lymph nodes, now people have known about cancer, and when it gets in your system, it was dig the grave, my brother has lung cancer, that was almost always a death sentence. For people that are not around it or know someone with it, we sure didn't know how much they have improved your chances surviving these.
Acetylene has been around for 108 years used for welding, you yourself knows they have been trying to come up with something else, now they might have found it, suddenly which took 108 years. They are working on things all the time you never hear of, unless you are close to it. And as far as making big news, ways to cure or slow down cancer, no one ever hears of until you are dealing with it. So to say it suddenly comes out, is to me a unfair statement, unless you know that they came up with it one or two years ago. You sound like you know your facts on Acetylene, and other gases way more than I would want to know, as long as it works I'm fine with it. This is an interesting read, So I thought I would put my 2 cents in for what it's worth.

Bob

After looking at the site Dave put up, this gas seems to be a renewable fuel that you can cut clean with. I see where it took the guy 30 years to come up with a way to make it. I did not see where it could be used for welding.
Red you seem to be right on the money. Who said you couldn't teach an old dog new tricks, this was very interesting. Thanks red.

Advertisement

Last edited by 35terraplane; 04-01-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

The more I see of this stuff the better it looks HOWEVER let's call it what it is! I had a similar discussion with a guy about MAPP some years ago and he had PROOF that it was Hotter, Cleaner, Cheaper and would do Anything Acetylene would do, he had PROOF! From what I am seeing, and this is ONLY my opinion, this gas is between MAPP and Acetylene as far as a cutting fuel and most likely cuts cleaner than either of them. What I am impressed by is how clean and Earth friendly the stuff is both in use and production, it seems to have a lot going for it but if it can't be used for welding then it would seem to be of little use in a home shop setting. Certainly it would have some neat advantages over Propane but I still have yet to see anything that would outweigh the cost and convenience advantage of Propane. Gas welding is very important to me and to others here, that is what started this thread, and while alternative cutting fuels to Acetylene are readily available none are suitable for welding-brazing yes but not welding.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
You made the statement, now suddenly another gas claims to be all these things. I don't really think that is a fair statement,Bob

I see your point and I have to agree with you.

As far as finding a new gas that can weld steel I have been open all along just highly skeptical and why not? I have heard all this before and not only is there no solid evidence to back this claim it just does not make sense from a physical standpoint, as I said before I may be wrong but until I either see it in a welding journal or other established source I can't help but be skeptical. This could be industry changing news and would be the subject of much discussion but I have to admit since I retired I don't stay on top of things like I once did, can't remember the last time I looked at one of my mags they still send to me. I am sure it would still be a well known discovery that would not have to rely on internet websites to become known but be it welding gas or some other energy source these products pop up all the time with wild claims. The more I look at this one the more I am convinced it is indeed a legit outfit and maybe has a promising future but tossing mis-leading info out there (if indeed they are) will make them look bad.

If you go to the web site and read the "Products" section it sounds good until really looking at it, for instance the description on cutting says something like,

"cleaner and faster cutting with little or no slag"

Cleaner and faster cutting than WHAT? And it seems that every gas product out there has that line about little or no slag so while it may sound good is it really better?

I may have been a bit overboard but those claims of "hotter than Acetylene" and "used for welding" both of which should be major news should be, IMO anyway, scrutinized before someone decides to spend money on this stuff. It may be all that it's cracked up to be but let's find out and calling them on their claims is simply a way to do that.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

See guys if you look into it a little more it's not "the Devil" so much is it?? I'm not going to argue Mr. Reds point because he seems to know more than i do about welding and cutting as far as real life experience goes. Ican do both but nowhere near on a proffesional level. That being said, how important is acetylene welding? I run a fill plant and welding supply store and really don't know that many people who weld with acetylene. Most of my customers use stick, MIG, or TIG setups so this is an area I'm unfamiliar with. To be honest, yes i am working on becoming a distributor for this gas. That's not my intentions for posting as I've stated numerous times. I do want to learn about the product I plan to sell so it's nice getting more opinions and what features would be good points and what features would be drawbacks. And thanks to the guy who posted the link. I got deleted for that (not to argue i know there are rules) so maybe more will read on it and give me some feedback. By the way I got a call from Carbide Industries today. Ican have up to 4 tons the end of next week..........at DOUBLE THE PRICE I WAS PAYING!!!!!! That means I would have to jack my distributors up another $10 a hundred cf. And I still only break even. That trickles down to almost double the price for the end user and my direct sale/walk in customers!!!! They say that will continue for at least a year until they get their plant rebuilt. They are having to rely on overseas sources as well. But i made great progress in securing a decent load for myself and a few more producers like me in Illinois and other areas so maybe in a month I can give Airgas and Western a run for the money!!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

And as far as the no slag thing guys it really is clean cutting. Tomorrow when i get back to the plant i'll take pics of the pieces they cut in our demo. There are more pics on the site and around the net of the cuts with no grinding or finishing and i watched them cut and there was NO residue and little to no slag. That's from my own eyes.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You have been keeping this a secret for almost a year.LOL

Bob
What the Crap Why would you post such a

meaningless post for? I wasn't picking out one individual and flaming them I was

just voicing my experience.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&MCylinderGases
how important is acetylene welding?

Well that's what this thread was about, a shortage of welding gas and to let some know they might need an alternative to Acetylene for cutting for a while. Due to cost concerns the cutting alternative to Acetylene is overdue anyway. All I was trying to do was keep things honest as it is all too easy to get carried away with a new product and their sales tactics and when I see mis-information about a product I tend to get defensive, after all these guys could be tempted to spend money on this stuff so lets get the true facts out there as they are in the real world and not a sales brochure!

Unfortunately gas welding is not that big of concern anymore for most folks which is a true shame but that's another story for another time and place.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

shortage of Acetylene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahb
What the Crap Why would you post such a

meaningless post for? I wasn't picking out one individual and flaming them I was

just voicing my experience.
I made that post as a joke, as you started it with "on Tuesday the 29th of April I talked to" well you made the post on the 30th of March. So the 29th of April would have been 11 months before you posted.
It's been a long winter.

Bob

Last edited by 35terraplane; 04-01-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

lol......
i'm starting to win you over Red!! Don't resist....lmao......
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I made that post as a joke, as you started it with "on Tuesday the 29th of April I talked to" well you made the post on the 30th of March. So the 29th of April would have been 11 months before you posted.
It's been a long winter.

Bob
Thank you for clearing that up, It also has been a very very long winter too.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:51 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

J&M - thank you for the info. I'm going to call around our area and see if this stuff is available around here, and what changes to our torches and equipment are necessary. We have a number of gas rigs in our shop and the time to play with it so I'd like to see what it can do. I'll post if we can get set up for it. Keep the info coming.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahb
On Tuesday, the 29 of April our local Praxair dealer for New Brunswick told me ...
i thought it was obvious. i don't think he was flaming you unless your a time traveler too

edit: time traveler is a joke also
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber1949
J&M - thank you for the info. I'm going to call around our area and see if this stuff is available around here, and what changes to our torches and equipment are necessary. We have a number of gas rigs in our shop and the time to play with it so I'd like to see what it can do. I'll post if we can get set up for it. Keep the info coming.
where are you and i'll see if theres a distributor close. the only changes are that you need a hydrogen regulator and propane tips. the rest should stay the same.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

shortage of Acetylene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
i thought it was obvious. i don't think he was flaming you unless your a time traveler too

edit: time traveler is a joke also
Again not to steal the thread, But I think it's time to get the rods out and go for a ride with our heads out the window, for us in the north.

Bob
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&MCylinderGases
lol......
i'm starting to win you over Red!! Don't resist....lmao......

Don't bet on it I still see some red flags here, like the line about the guy spending thirty years developing a way to make this gas? Sounds like a good sales pitch and a noble effort but really? Maybe so but it still smacks of the "Miraculous energy discovery" quac..., err inventors, how come it's always thirty years? Then I still have a problem with the site calling the gas a "cutting and WELDING fuel" but with zero findable info on welding and little to no more mention of such an industry shaking accomplishment. Why on Earth would they only make passing reference to accomplishing what has not been done in over 100 years-developing an alternative gas that can weld and is supposedly hotter than Acetylene? If that were true then they should be on the cover of every welding magazine in the world and would have industry beating a path to their door but they just causally mention these things such as welding?

The clean cutting pics also mean little since technique has as much to do with it as the fuel, I had a 19 year old guy that worked for me that was a true artist! This guy attended, hunted down by the vendors actually, all the machinery and equipment shows doing demos and cutting people's names and other art in metal plate. You had to see it to believe it, it looked like CNC cutting and I would challenge anyone to find slag on the cut surface!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.