Should have done it right the first time - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Should have done it right the first time

I took the '33 sedan for a short drive today - on the highway crossing the Mississippi river, the engine sputtered several times. When I let off the gas, and started coasting to the shoulder of the road (once I was off the bridge), the engine kept running. Seemed like it ran ok until I gave it more throttle. Symptoms seemed like a clogged fuel filter. I have one of those small glass filters. After I first got the car running, that filter clogged with junk that was apparently in the new fuel line. Thought it was the same thing again.

My upholstery shop wasn't far, so I headed there to borrow tools to swap out the filter. Engine must have died 10 times on the way. After struggling in hot tight confines of my '33s engine bay, I got the filter out, only to find that it was still pretty clean! Not the problem.

I checked the lead going to the coil in the HEI - it was loose. The only reason it ran at all was the wire was pretty stiff so it was held in place - sort of. Pushed it back on and headed home (after replacing the fuel filter). When I got home and checked, the lead was already coming loose again!

Rewind back to when I wired the car... I knew the HEI coil and tach leads used flat blade clips, so I crimped and soldered them on the leads then covered them with shrink tube - then I found the plastic clip covers included with my wiring harness, specifically for those connections. Since I already had clips on the wires, I decided I wouldn't bother with the plastic clip covers...dumb! There is a reason those clip covers lock onto the HEI housing... so they don't come loose like mine did!

So now I have the correct clip covers on those leads, like I should have done to do it right the first time! Lesson learned.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

There's never time to do it right the first time but there's always time to redo it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

I was lucky my redo wasn't by the side of the highway!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Banned

Last photo:

this is how we all become better, we screw up and fix it, now we all know to use the clips instead of throwing them on the bench. Glad to hear she is running fine now, i know it is the worst when running a super nice rod like yours and you have trouble for all on the road to see.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Im glad you got it fixed safely Bob and, just as importantly I'd like to point out its good to see a nice car get driven on the backroads. More and more of my customers are building trailer queens they trailer to events and drive on cruises then back in the trailer. I even have customers who are afraid to drive their car far because its too finicky or it is prone to overheating
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

I couldn't stand building it and not driving it! Today I will be adding a few items to the toolbox I keep behind the back seat.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I'm glad to hear that you've put the sedan on the road. I would hate to know it was a trailer queen.

That little problen reminds me to check, check, and check again. I'm always worried about breaking down on the side of the road. It takes all the fun out of even having a street rod.

Your story reminds me....I found a nut about to fall off of the control arm on the Mustang II frontend of my 36 Ford. I guess it's a good thing we still have some snow on the roads around here.

Well, good luck with the rest of your shakedown runs on that beautiful sedan.

454 RATTLER
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

454 Rattler - good catch! That could have been ugly! That's my job for today - go over everything and make sure it's all tight.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

bean counters don't spend money for nothing.. dad always said if the part got past the beancounters it was needed.. or it not be there..
nice that it was an easy fix..
Old 04-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

Alls well that ends well !
Glad to hear you weren't stranded @ the middle of the bridge
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

I was really lucky that I was able to get somewhere I could borrow tools. I had to take the hood side off to get to the fuel filter (when I thought that was the problem), and did not have an allen wrench with me... I do now! I spent the afternoon double checking everything I could think of, and double checking the contents of my on-board toolbox!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.