Should I? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Should I?

A co-worker bought a pretty decent '79 Z-28 about the same time I bought the Monte and he said he's probably going to sell it next spring because it isn't really what he wants. It has about 75,000 on it as I recall and it's Met. Brown with Gold & Black stripes and a Saddle Brown interior. It has one tiny rust spot and the underside is clean and solid. The interior isn't bad and it has PS, PB and AC with of course an LM-1 350, TH350 and 3.42 posi. No T-tops. It has been parked since he bought it, maybe driven 2 ro 3 times. He is the third owner and the 2nd owner had it for about 20 years BUT he pulled a small boat with it so it had a hitch on it which is now thankfully gone.

I have had five 2nd Gen Camaros over the years, a '70 SS 350, a '71 Z-28, a '77 Plain Jane 305 ( I LOVED that car...), a '79 Berlinetta with a built 350, TH350 and 3.42 Posi and a brand new '81 Z-28 305, 4 speed, 3.42 posi. They all got tolerable to excellent MPG's, I like the way they handled but was never crazy about the ride. I like the way the Monte rides but "handling" is not one of it's strong points and it has the aerodynamics of an outhouse. It has T-tops which are kind of cool but they leak and the interior pieces it needs the worst are the same ones EVERYBODY else needs and they aren't being reproduced. The Monte needs floorpans and some minor rust repairs to the lower body but otherwise is in decent shape and it has the Deluxe bumper package and the bumpers are like new. Everything works but the clock and it has PS, PB, AC, tilt and cruise and the F41 suspension although you couldn't tell by driving it.. I also picked up a factory tach and gauges for it but don't have them in yet.

So, do I slip a good used TH350 in my Monte and freshen up the motor in it a little and send it on it's way and buy the Z next year or do I keep the Monte and proceed with my 383/200-4R/3.73 swap? The Z would eventually get the 383/200-4R and 3.73's I have planned for the Monte but buying the Z would push that back 12 to 18 months but I could live with the drivetrain that was in it for now. I think I can get the Z for about $3600.

??????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2005, 04:28 AM

Last photo:

Yep, you pull that racy looking 79 Z28 up to the light and I pull up in my 4 wheel drive 6,000+ lb 290hp Toyota Sequoia, that is pretty stock except for the KN air filter.

I'm to lazy to set down my coffee to shift so I leave it it Drive and just plain smoke your as*.

How do I know, because yesterday raced a 78 Trans am 6.6.
I should add we raced three different times because he either thought it was a fluke or I just had lucked out.

Man he would have really felt bad if I had the bird out there or one of the goats.

Keep the monte.

Last edited by BarryK; 09-25-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Cleverly disguised as grownup

Last journal entry: Hollman & Moody
Last photo:

Is that the 76 Monte you said you were going to sell to your stepson Jason if he kept his grades up?? Personally I like the Monte. True the Z would be more fun to drive, but I think the Monte is more of a head turner, especially with the paint and trim package on the Z. I'm not much of a fan of brown cars. Im not sure what Barry k's street racing habits should have to do with your decision.
Dave
Old 09-25-2005, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

Now Barry, I may be an "idiot" and I do only have hazy memories of the 70's but they aren't so hazy that I've forgotten what dog's the '79 Z-28's were right out of the box LOL Besides street racing is dangerous and illegal and I don't do that anymore so that shouldn't be an issue......... Then again racy looking as it is everybody knows what dog's that vintage of Z-28's were so, given that the Camaro is a few hundred lbs. lighter and not quite as nose heavy as the Monte if I build the same drivetrain for it as I have planned and started for the Monte it should surprise them almost as much as the Monte would and it should be a few tenths quicker doing it. Plus the lighter weight and superior aerodynamics of the Z-28 won't hurt the fuel economy part of the argument. I have always liked the look of the '78-'81 Z's, I really do like the way they handle and while I might be able to resist being goaded into a stoplight to stoplight if you get me on some twisty back highway with no traffic or houses I'm going to find the temptation to play too much and I want something that can at least make it fun. I'm not looking to go around challenging real sports cars I just want to make the drive more "interesting" if you get my drift.

I guess maybe the approach I should take is, if both cars were sitting side by side for sale and I didn't own either one which one would I buy? or Hmmmm, that just made it pretty easy. Stay tuned for the next installment when I break the good news to my wife..........
Old 09-25-2005, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse S-10
Is that the 76 Monte you said you were going to sell to your stepson Jason if he kept his grades up?? Personally I like the Monte. True the Z would be more fun to drive, but I think the Monte is more of a head turner, especially with the paint and trim package on the Z. I'm not much of a fan of brown cars. Im not sure what Barry k's street racing habits should have to do with your decision.
Dave

That be the one, Jason decided he didn't want it after about 6 weeks AND he has failed on just about every point of the agreement so he wasn't getting the Monte any way you looked at it. So much for that plan. He's getting a '91 Sunbird 4 Cyl. when he gets his license, it's dependable, cheap and safe. If he wants anything beyond that he better start saving his money for it. My guess is after seeing how he has treated his Mother's $400 TREK Mt. Bike she handed over to him last fall he'll have the Sunbird trashed inside 6 months, I hope I'm wrong but as they say "history repeats itself......" Had we not just purchased the Monte when my co-worker bought the Z we wouldn't even be having this discussion, I would have been all over this Z back then. He wasn't going to buy it and jumped in at the last minute.

Actually I'm not that crazy about the color combo on the Monte, I've had too many red & white cars and I am burned out on them and bright red with a burgundy dash and carpet and white interior? That has never quite grown on me. While the brown wouldn't my first color choice I actually like it. My 1st choice would be white with the gold and black stripes like my old '81 but I can handle the brown, get the right wheels on one and the brown is actually pretty classy looking. I guess the interior is actually "Camel", whatever it's called I have always been partial to that color interior.

Sorry guys but the Z/28 has nosed ahead and is pulling away.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

well i'm a big guy and i'm partial to bigger cars so if it was me id keep the montie. plus i really like that body style 73-77 i think there kool.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I would say stick with the Monte Carlo, it looks like you already put alot of time into it.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:07 AM

Last photo:

Wow, I'm kind of surprised.......

Monte Carlo 4
Camaro Z/28 O
Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

If the Monte was a 70-72 model, hands down, keep the Monte. This being the yacht-like 73-77 model, I'd say Camaro wins hands down. I've never really liked that body style of Monte.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Well, change of plans, he thinks he wants to keep the Z/28 now. BUT another guy in our office piped in and asked me why didn't I buy his '81 Z/28? Because I thought he sold his '81 last year. It's a LOT more money but it is all original paint, silver with 3 tone gray and silver stripes and in excellent condition, no dents, no rust, original '81 alloy Z/28 rims in excellent condition, stock deluxe cloth black interior with grey accents, and no T-tops. It is a very sharp car and is SUPER clean. It is an automatic and had AC which has been partially removed but easily reinstalled. The down side is it has a fairly radical 383 that he doesn't know a lot about in it and he won't sell without the engine. If I can swing the deal I'll probably sell that 383 and build my own although I may keep the heads, they are Brodix aluminum's but I don't know which ones. It already has a 3.73 posi. The only thing that would make it better besides a lower price is if it was white like my '81. Wish me luck, I WANT this car, I have always regretted having to sell my '81 Z before I got a decent engine in it, here's my shot at redemption. EVERY toy and car part I have that won't be needed for this one will be up for sale, that's how bad I want this car.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

I'm having serious second thoughts about parting with the Monte. I know it's big, heavy, unaerodynamic, needs some rust repair and it's not the most popular body style plus they can be hard to find parts for but I find I have become attached to the old barge. I like driving it and on a nice day the T-tops are a blast. The motor I have planned now would put it well into the 13's and yet be as docile as the original 350 2 Bbl. and should get better mileage doing it. It also has room for 4 adults and all kinds of luggage. AND it's paid for......... the cash difference for the Z/28 would take care of most of the body and paint.

I guess I'll have to see what the next few months brings, if somebody waves the money in front of me I'll probably sell but I don't think I'm going to try real hard to sell it.

Last edited by Hippie; 10-03-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Hippie,I am by no means an expert,and it is not like I have all that uncommon of a car in the HR world.But you do.I love the style Monte you have.we had a 77 when I was a teen. I loved driving that car.White with the turquoise Landau top,and interior.Beautiful car,but the winters here finally took its toll on the DD.
You have a car that everyone overlooks for the smaller G-body styled Montes.I would hang onto it,especially if you have grown attached to it.I had a real good oppurtunity to swap my 79 Malibu body for an 81 in MUCH better shape,but after thinking about it,I just could not part with my turd colored baby.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

RCastle, yeah the "grass is always greener" besides the Z/28 is somewhat known and anywhere I went it would be "That's so and so's old car", plus there isn't much I could do to the outside to personalize it without screwing it up. On the other hand the Monte hadn't seen the light of day for several years until I got it and was never noteworthy when it was out. I have the opportunity to make it unique and make it completely MINE. Hey at least it will have a Z/28 "rope" steering wheel.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.