Hot Rod Forum banner

Should I buy? 66 Chevelle

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  RetroJoe 
#1 ·
I really want a 66 Chevelle for my first classic but I don't want a piece of crap. This is a 66 Chevelle Malibu, 283 with 350 trans. Test drive went well...mechanically sound. However, there are several spots of rust (to be expected) and I'm not sure if it is worth it. One body shop said (by veiwing pictures) there is about $8,000 of paint and body work. Seller is asking $5,000.

Please veiw the link in my signature to view the pictures of this Chevelle and let me know what you think.

#2 ·
I think thats high $$$!!!!

i got my 65 elcamino (half chevelle) for 1400 bux or there abouts...needed some bodywork (did it all myself),
8 grand in bodywork???what habbit does that bodyman need to support???? jesus! that or its really bad shape. Id pass for that price. If you look around you can come up with some thats the same or better for a lower price...
them fools are charging the http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/viewresults.aspx?LI=1-12-1-2031-0-0-0&Lnk=1&wSec=12&wPr=1&wPg=2032 (the thing didnt work, punch in the info for the car you'll see the prices) value for it....Wheres this at?...a dealership?
Again I'd Pass on that price if you say it needs 8k in bodywork.....then your gonna have to do the engine and whatever else...tack another grand on it and you got yourself a $14,000 car......eh you could buy a good *** car for that..something with more horsepower and good paint...

PS...Sigs are disabled, tried to look in your profile, still no sig spot...so i didnt see anypics of it.....post some pics!!

#4 ·
owww that body is ruff... 8k may be correct. alot of the rust is not surface....

the interior is surface rust but the truck is a goner the hood is bad it has been repainted that is hiding alot of other stories,, for that money i would keep looking for another ride. if it was a true ss 396 i would say grab it and hunt for replacement parts. but on a malibu pass.... there are better bodies to start with.

jeff

#5 ·
Thats too much for the car in my opinion, but reasonable assuming the body shop is doing it right.

I bet I have $3K in paint materials on a Camaro I am doing. $8,000 is nothing to fix a rusted out car.

The Chevelle you are looking at has been worked over at least once. So for every flaw you see, there is still 10 more underneath waiting to surface.

I like your choice in cars, just get it bought for 1/2 or look elsewhere.

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.