Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Should I buy an adjustable vacuum advance kit?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
Are you guys saying that the stock vac advance will provide all the advance that I need, and that I should retain the stock vac advance and just limit it with the limiter plate (and recurving the distributor with the springs)?
You may be able to do just that. The stock can will provide enough advance (usually too much as you've heard), you only need 10-14 degrees supplied by the can.

What could keep you from using the stock vacuum advance can w/a [B] #99619-1limiter plate would be the point where the stock can advance starts and stops. Very briefly, this will depend on what the specs are on the stock can and what the engine requires.

Crane adjustable vacuum advance can and limiter plate kit- p/n 99600-1.

Quote:
... steady 15" reading on the vacuum gauge indicating the engines tune is good...
The steady needle is a good sign- providing the gauge is a diagnostic-type gauge and not overly damped like a gauge that is used to monitor engine vacuum for good economy, for instance.

The exact vacuum an engine makes depends on several things and the cam is a major player when it comes to vacuum.