Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Should I buy this locked up 60gal. compressor?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
Wow Oldred that is a really cheap pump. 13+ cfm for $99 bucks is nice.
Do you guys think that the locked up pump on the compressor could be repaired? I mean I have never messed with one, but it seems like you could hone the cylinder walls and replace the rings (are there rings?) and it might work again.
Worse case I pay $150 for it and get that $99 pump..$250= happiness.
And yeah I don't know where they get the HP power #s from for these things. I have a 25gal compressor that says it is 5 HP. I have a shop vac that says 5HP. The drum sander at work is 5 HP and the motor is a huge 100lb monster that would take your arm off. This lil compressor motor says 7HP. I don't get it. That is another story I guess.
The horsepower ratings on is generally based on the rpm that they work at most,all work type motors(except vacs) turn at 1750 rpms, most all air compressor's turn 3450 because the compressor is more efficient at that speed( can supply it's rated air output)so the compressor motor can be smaller in size with a higher hp output.
On the compressor, if it turns hard ,there are two things that are a deal killer as far as rebuilding it goes, scored cly walls and/or scored crank.There are rebuild kits for most brand name compressors but if it's "Chinaware" you'l have to toss it and find a replacement. When you pull it down( if you decide to fix it)pay close attention when you pull the head and look at how the reed valves are set up so they can be put back in the same way they came out. Other than that all the rest is pretty much straight forward.

Good Luck
Kenny

Last edited by Shelby1; 06-14-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: wrong info