Should I buy this Rod?? Help! It's my 1st Time! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 08:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Should I buy this Rod?? Help! It's my 1st Time!

Good Mornin', First of all a major THANK YOU to everyone that helped identify my Mama car; everyone here has been so nice and helpful. Well, I've been looking for a Street Rod for months, and most are out of my price range, but I've found one that I 'think' sounds like a deal, but am as nervous as long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs about buying it. I'm a 55 year old Southern Belle who has 'just enough knowledge' about cars to be dangerous, and I would LOVE to have any and all advice as what I should do. The car has just about everything I'm looking for except 3 things: It does NOT have Heat/AC or Windows. It is a 1927 Buick, 5000 miles on rebuilt 350, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic in the floor, Alum.Wheels, Glass Packs, and Steel Body. It is YELLOW 2 step paint/w clear coat, and that is the color I want.(Altho I don't like the red/blue accents) It is located in Florida. He is asking $9,000.00, and it will probably cost me close to $1,000.00 to get it shipped to NC. How difficult is it to have windows put in? And I don't think it has a steel top. I figured heat/ac would be another $1,000.00, but have no clue on the windows/top. Also I would like to have a hood put over the engine, but have the sides open. I don't want to be 'taken for a ride' on this; should I wait until I find the Rod with EVERYTHNG I want, and just pay more? Does this sound like a good price as it stands? Thanks so much, and any advice will be appreciated. Southern Smiles!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BuickStreetRod.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	6343  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Well its tough to say on the windows not knowing what is there. But more than likely it will be pretty expensive if you are having the work done.

I am not sure on the AC nowadays. Vintage Air is a common add-on but you will have to check on the cost.

Something is odd about that car. Is it an original steel body car? The cowl looks too long, radiator surround seems out of proportion and I dont understand what they have done with the roof. Have not seen anything like that

If you have to pay to get all the work done, it will get expensive doing what you want. The $9,000 might not be a bad price but you can easily double it doing what you want. Or more.

I personally think you would be better off finding a driver that is done the way you want. Have someone knowledgable look it over because 1/2 the cars out there barely go down the road and need constant messing with.

Good luck,

Rich
Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Some Transport Help

i'm in the car transport business, try these guys there good. we are a in depend car transport company. we book from these guys there straight up. we have a single axle 99 frightliner with a 53' take three 3/4 car hauler. we run NC to Denver Co. then Denver Co. to Chicago then DC Norfolk Va. or Chicago to NC.

with origination and destination address i can give you a little better idea on price, butt transport door to door will be (ballpark) around 40 to 50 cents a mi. (if the car is inop you can add another $150) i can give you a couple good brokers, i would use McNutt Auto Transport, there not the cheapest but they take care of you. or do a search 4 auto transport.

i could put it on a national board and get transporter to transport it 4 ya, and save you some money by cutting out the broker and broker fees, butt we are a transporter not a broker, witch means we have no brokers license and no brokers bond. transport outfits are insured, butt if something happened to your vehicle during transport it's nice to have a broker involved to help you, make sure you get taken care of.

if you pick a broker cause there cheap, and just say there having money trouble or there just a shady outfit, and the broker don't pay the transporter, the transporter can come back on you (the shipper)and make you pay, even if you paid the broker. then to get it right you have to go after the brokers bond.

the safest way is to give the broker a deposit 4 the transport, and then give the transporter reaining amount of payment to the truck at delivery, then you know transporter is paid (the deposit you give the broker is there fee 4 setting up transport)

you will sign a inspection sheet on both ends (pickup and delivery). check your vehicle over GOOD B4 SIGNING AT DELIVERY, things like your under carrage, driveshaft, exhaust, roof and hood, trunk, bumpers, make sure that mileage is writen on inspection sheet at pickup b4 singing. once you sign this, it releases them from any liability or damages you might find later, don't let them hurry you on checking out you car at delivery.

if you have any other questions just ask.

B4 you car leaves on a truck get trucking co. info including ICC MCC #

McNut would be my 1st choice

http://mcnutttransport.com/home/
McNutt Auto Tran Svc
Broker
P.O. Box 207
Lowry City, MO 64763
Preferred Contact Method: Any
Main Phone: 800-755-2324
Local Phone: 417-644-2273
Fax Number: 417-644-2275
Email: mcnuttautotrans@inter-linc.net
Web Site: http://mcnutttransport.com

Reindeer Auto Reloc.
Broker

212 W. 10th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202

Preferred Contact Method: Phone

Main Phone: 800-428-0589
Local Phone: 317-299-2878
Fax Number: 317-299-3099
Hours:
Email: Click to Send Email to Reindeer Auto Reloc.
Web Site: http://www.reindeerauto.com

Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'm with Rich on this, the car looks like it's been cobbed together. I'd pass. Where in N.C. are you? When I was there visiting my Mom last spring, we went to a classic car consignment house in Coats, a lot of nice cars there, some a bit pricey, some very reasonable. The owner was a nice guy, if he doesn't have what you're looking for he may know where to find it. I'll see if i can get the name for you. Good luck, Dan
Old 08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Sorry

Looks like a POS...don't bother.

Tazz
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

Amen, Amen & Amen

First of all, I got more pics of the car from the owner, and Dan, Rich, and Tazz, you were all right . .it is total trash. I've never seen such a mess on the top of the car. Dan, I live in just north of Raleigh, NC which is not far from Coats. My husband(well, ex now) and his people are originally from Coats. I would love to have the phone number/name of the Classic Car place you visited. I'm really looking for a Street Rod. Years ago, we restored a 1932 Studebaker, but it was a restoration, not Rod. I'd like the 30's look with all the modern conveniences like heat/ac/ps/etc. What I show now, is a 1992 1/2 Limited Ed./Special Ed. Mustang 5.0L Convertible, and it will do everything but cook supper! lol . .yet, I've always wanted a Street Rod. Attached is a pic of it BEFORE' I sent it to get 'show paint.' Actually, it should be back tomorrow. Look forward to hearing from you again. Southern Smiles, Donna
PS MustangSal, thank you for the info on transporting. I've made a copy of it, and will keep it on file in case I find the 'right' one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	G-SallyJuly14Email.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	6344  
Old 08-10-2005, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

our car transport home office is in Dunn NC. an hr south of Raleigh NC. on I95maybe we could help you with a transport, when and if give us a call, we are licensed for all 48 but run Denver east & Denver south & east , this place is close to you, i know nothing about them but been by there place.

http://www.ecoastcc.com/contact.cfm

J & M Trucking
Transport Carrier
221 Grubbs Dale Lane
Dunn, North Carolina 28334

Dispatch: 308-785-2006 Phone/Fax
Email: ba21939@yahoo.com

Owner: James and Nancy Cook
Contact Number for Owner: 308-785-2006
Contact Person: Virginia Adams 308-785-2006

MC # 403449
DOT # 938269

Number Of Trucks: 1
Equipment: 99 Frightliner w / 53 ft stedeck
Primary routes your company runs: 50 states,door to door wherever possible.

if needed i can give you Business References

Last edited by Mustangsaly; 08-10-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:31 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Donna,

Good luck looking for your car. Streed rods are not cheap but you can throw a lot of money at one trying to get it the way you want and keep it running.

So just look for a car you like that is close to ready to go and make sure its well built.

Kindest regards,

Rich
Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hi Breeze, i emailed my Mom for the name and phone number of the classic car place, should be hearing from her. Is your name from the Lynnerd Skynnerd song? Dan
Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Lynard Skynard

Good Morning Dan,
Thank you so much for getting the info on the classic car place for me. I would feel much better & 'safer' dealing with 'home folks.'
Yes, my nick is from Lynard Skynard's song: 'They Call Me The Breeze.' I've had that nickname for many many years. I have a small beach house at the Emerald Isle, NC, and I named it TheBreeze. Also, my daughter named her dog, TheBreeze after me. (I don't know if that was a compliment or not; lol) Although our singing group is called The Mustang Sallies, my DJ Service is called TheBreeze.
I've attached 2 pics. One of my daughter & me, and the singing one was taken last weekend. I guess our group is not too bad for 'old folks!' *wink Southern Smiles, Donna
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DonnaSingingClose.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	6362   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJTrailorSmaller.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	6363  
Old 08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze
Good Morning Dan,

I've attached 2 pics. One of my daughter & me, and the singing one was taken last weekend. I guess our group is not too bad for 'old folks!' *wink Southern Smiles, Donna
Which one is the daughter? Here's the address:

East Coast Classic cars
HWY 421 E
Lillington, NC 27546
910-893-9270
I spoke with the mgr./owner? when I was there, nice guy. They are a few miles s.e. of Coats. Keep us posted on your search for the car. Dan
Old 08-11-2005, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

i put the url address in my last post, i've been by it a few times going to lillington nc. http://www.ecoastcc.com/contact.cfm i don't know them, but they had a few cars sitting outside that looked sweet. i've checked out there site many times and imo they need to come down on everyone of the cars price , looks like they start high.

Mustangsaly
Old 08-11-2005, 11:18 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

A totally finished rod will cost a bit more than something that still needs work, but it probably your best bet. Check internet sites like http://www.americandreamcars.com/oldpick.htm. There are lots of other links on this page.

You'll find prices all over the place! Trash with big prices and great cars with low prices someone is just tired of or there isn't much market locally. Pick up one of the old car or street rod for sale magazines and take a look also.

A 48 Buick in Texas looks good at $5,500, but needs a lot of work to finish. You could easily put that much into it for paint alone, then the interior needs finishing too.
The big 48 Desoto looks nice and is priced right @ $8500, but doesn't look like you really want a big car.

The older and nicer, the higher the price unless it still needs lots of work. You should be able to get a nice runner in the $20-25K range that needs little or no work.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:18 AM

Iwas just talking to a guy who, typically, is a Pontiac man. He told me he has had 42 cars over the years. Ironically, he is selling some sort of chopped street rod for about $20,000.

I haven't seen the car personally, but others I've seen the he has owned were perfect. An older man with good taste in cars and their restoration / upkeep.

Car is located in Northern PA.

Email me with your number and I'll forward it to him if you would like.

Tay
Old 08-14-2005, 06:56 PM

HEY BREZZE:

There is a simple way to qualify a street rod's condition... Just ask if it has been Safety Inspected by National Street Rod Assn. They offer a 23 point FREE inspection at all of there events and most weekend show. The State Safety Rep for N.C. is Lester Poole 14718 NC Hwy 18N, Ennice, N.C. 28623. GOOD LUCK... THERESA

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.