Should I, can I stroke out a vortec 5.3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Should I, can I stroke out a vortec 5.3

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 with the vortec 5.3 gen III block with aluminum heads. The truck was previously owned by an 80 something years old man who drove the truck 3 days a month for 7 years. I have done a few things to upgrade the parts that have gone bad without going into the engine. Cold air, headers, flowmaster cat back, electric fans, Richmond gears, and Eaton posi in the rear. I have a very bad lifter tap and the engine is sluggish so I figured either I buy a crate or rebuild this engine. If I rebuild I want to get the most performance out of it as possible and I have considered stroking it out. What do yall think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaZ71 View Post
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 with the vortec 5.3 gen III block with aluminum heads. The truck was previously owned by an 80 something years old man who drove the truck 3 days a month for 7 years. I have done a few things to upgrade the parts that have gone bad without going into the engine. Cold air, headers, flowmaster cat back, electric fans, Richmond gears, and Eaton posi in the rear. I have a very bad lifter tap and the engine is sluggish so I figured either I buy a crate or rebuild this engine. If I rebuild I want to get the most performance out of it as possible and I have considered stroking it out. What do yall think?
Every time I see someone wanting to make their truck fast, I get a sour feeling in my stomach over it. You're beginning with the worst possible candidate, a very heavy truck. If you want fast, purchase an MGB roadster and swap in a Ford 460 with a C6 and 9" rear. Cheap to build and guaranteed to blow your skirt up. Alternately, swap a 454/502 into your truck and at least begin with some cubic inches to help haul all that weight around.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Thank you for your reply. Fast is not really what I'm looking for I'm more looking for torque more for towing than anything. I have towed one trailer with almost 2000lbs on it and the truck struggled. I can go pretty good as it is but I want to have the ability to put a trailer on the hitch and not feel the strain.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Fast is not really what I'm looking for I'm more looking for torque more for towing than anything. I have towed one trailer with almost 2000lbs on it and the truck struggled. I can go pretty good as it is but I want to have the ability to put a trailer on the hitch and not feel the strain.
Same answer, 454/502.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The 5.3L should not struggle with 2k lbs. It should not labor much with 5k lbs.. Either something is wrong with the truck or you are just expecting too much. The 5.3L does lack torque down low, but if you keep the RPM above 3k, it will do what little you need..
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Every time I see someone wanting to make their truck fast, I get a sour feeling in my stomach over it. You're beginning with the worst possible candidate, a very heavy truck. If you want fast, purchase an MGB roadster and swap in a Ford 460 with a C6 and 9" rear. Cheap to build and guaranteed to blow your skirt up. Alternately, swap a 454/502 into your truck and at least begin with some cubic inches to help haul all that weight around.
except chevy 2wd trucks with the 5.3 or 6.0l are the new favorite cheap way to go fast...

It'll never be as nimble as a MG but they can make big power cheaply and hold it pretty damn well with stock parts.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

I don't think my S10 with a 5.3 in it is slow! But then it's kind of like a 1/2 a truck in weight.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

2011 Stroker Engine Guide: Unlocking LS Stroker Engine Potential: Engine Builder
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
I think it is MUCH less expensive to swap the 5.3 for a 6.2. Also, be sure to understand the emissions testing requirements where you live.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM

you can buy a 454 cube LS,dont use the monster heads they come with though.
depends on your budget,,, there is also an iron block 427 LS available,again,dont use the monster heads,use something close to the LS-3 heads
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizbiakt09 View Post
We have towed a single truck along with virtually 2000lbs into it along with the pick up truck fought. I am able to get excellent mainly because it can be although I want to can set any truck about the hinderance and not have the anxiety.
Excuse me? How's that again?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Thank yall for all the great input its been a great help in my project. A few posts about swapping for a bigger motor instead of stroking mine. How much modification will be needed to the truck to make a swap to a bigger motor?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

If you go to a 6.0L, it's R&R + have the ECU flashed
Old 11-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Before you get all hung up on spending piles of money, check your headers at the head for an exhaust leak. They sound exactly like lifter noise, and the computer see's the noise as knock and pulls out timing, no check engine light, no other symptoms, just loud and sluggish....I have done a pile of exhaust studs on 5.3's..... The ls motors are real real tough and I would be surprised if its actually hurt with low mileage and someone driving it gentle....ie: an 80 something year old lol.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Thank yall for all the great input its been a great help in my project. A few posts about swapping for a bigger motor instead of stroking mine. How much modification will be needed to the truck to make a swap to a bigger motor?
And if you discover your motor is actually healthy, look at a small single turbo as opposed to a bigger motor.....ls motors love boost, and you can have your cake and eat it too...acceptable fuel mileage and more then enough power to tow whatever you need.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.