Should I keep? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Should I keep?

I hope this doesn't offend any seasoned hotrodders. lol.. I'm the son of a now deceased hotrodder. I inherited a 1970 Nova v8(307). The body is perfect the car rides beautifly. I've been approached to sell the car alot lately. I must admit I don't have my dad's car knowledge, though I do enjoy driving the car. I've been told by most who've inquired about it, that it doesn't have much value because it isn't a SS. They've told me the clean body, Craeger(sp?) wheel caps, may bring some value but not much. The car has 90,000 original miles. I'm just wondering if these people are being straight or trying to leverage a lopsided deal if I do sell. I've even been told that only a true car enthusiast would see the benefit in putting the performance engine in and other work needed to give the car any true value. Any direction would be truly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 04:43 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Keep the car, nice clean straight rust free Novas are bringing a premium right now. It does not have to be a SS model to be valuable now days. I have seen several nice cars like yours bring anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000. It is unreal the prices now days. The Novas have really gotten popular and it is hard to find a good one most of them have serious rust problems.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

HH is correct! It sounds like the guys have been trying to leverage a good deal from someone who doesn't know much about cars. The SS model WOULD bring a lot more. Putting in a performance engine and making other mods MIGHT bring up value, might not. Depends on the mods, how well they were done, and what someone's loooking for. Enough late Novas were made that it really isn't worth restoring -- in the true sense of the word. Putting back to original condition. An original 307/2V car isn't "restored" with a crate 350/4V, headers, dual exhaust, and floor shift replacing hte column shifter. That's a MODIFIED car. I don't know how many times I've seen that word mis-used!

But back to you! If you really like the car and it has some sentimental value, keep it! If you decide to sell, search e-bay for SOLD 70s Novas. You have to log in to search completed auctions, but that's what you need. What people are asking isn't nearly as telling as what they are PAYING. Novas are easy to hot-rod and reasonably cheap. While many were made, they aren't made any more! So there is a limited supply. I'd rather hot-rod a late Nova than a Camaro any day!

So enjoy the car for a while. Leave the 307 with gas prices like they are. You might want to pick up a 4V intake and a 500-600 cfm carb later. As long as you "keep your foot out of it" it should get better mileage with the 4V. Even a 450 4V would be okay, though it would limit power a bit. That might be a good thing though...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

All the classic body cars have been increasing in value at 15-20% per year,

keep it as an investment, use "some" of the annual value increase to to keep it in top notch shape

alot more fun to drive a Nova than to read mutual funds statements!

with just a little research you will find that everything on the car is very simple and straight forward, basic hand tools to replace anything, you can do it.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

I am also the son of a deceased rodder, although I do have the passion and talent for cars as my father did. I can tell you that if you ever do sell the car, you will kick yourself later in life. The car that my father left for me, 1922 T-bucket, is the only thing in my life that I will never ever sell. It is my connection that I still have with my father. It feels great to drive it with him in the passengers seat...... Don't sell your nova, you will regret it.... Cars aren't difficult to work on as long as you have a basic understanding of mechanincal things. Hotrodders.com is a great place to learn alot of what it will take to keep your nova in top shape, so stick around and read alittle.....
Old 12-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

you might try calling

Your insurance agent should have or be able to get you phone numbers for people who appraise classic cars. Pay the price and get a professional appraisal of the car. That way you will be able to insure it for what its actually worth and get a fair price for it if you do go to sell it. The appraisal is only good for 6mo to 1yr, as you were told the price does nothing but go UP every year. I also agree that you will regret selling off the car your Dad worked on that was left to you.

Tazz
Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Keep the car, nice clean straight rust free Novas are bringing a premium right now. It does not have to be a SS model to be valuable now days. I have seen several nice cars like yours bring anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000. It is unreal the prices now days. The Novas have really gotten popular and it is hard to find a good one most of them have serious rust problems.
Thanks Henry! I've definitely been leaning towards keeping the car.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
HH is correct! It sounds like the guys have been trying to leverage a good deal from someone who doesn't know much about cars. The SS model WOULD bring a lot more. Putting in a performance engine and making other mods MIGHT bring up value, might not. Depends on the mods, how well they were done, and what someone's loooking for. Enough late Novas were made that it really isn't worth restoring -- in the true sense of the word. Putting back to original condition. An original 307/2V car isn't "restored" with a crate 350/4V, headers, dual exhaust, and floor shift replacing hte column shifter. That's a MODIFIED car. I don't know how many times I've seen that word mis-used!

But back to you! If you really like the car and it has some sentimental value, keep it! If you decide to sell, search e-bay for SOLD 70s Novas. You have to log in to search completed auctions, but that's what you need. What people are asking isn't nearly as telling as what they are PAYING. Novas are easy to hot-rod and reasonably cheap. While many were made, they aren't made any more! So there is a limited supply. I'd rather hot-rod a late Nova than a Camaro any day!

So enjoy the car for a while. Leave the 307 with gas prices like they are. You might want to pick up a 4V intake and a 500-600 cfm carb later. As long as you "keep your foot out of it" it should get better mileage with the 4V. Even a 450 4V would be okay, though it would limit power a bit. That might be a good thing though...
Advice well received. I think I'll keep it. One of my Dad's old friends from the 60's who has been ill, but now's better, has offered to help me tweak it a bit. He also told me to keep it. He also like HH, told me the car is worth way more than the peanuts I've been offered. Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
All the classic body cars have been increasing in value at 15-20% per year,

keep it as an investment, use "some" of the annual value increase to to keep it in top notch shape

alot more fun to drive a Nova than to read mutual funds statements!

with just a little research you will find that everything on the car is very simple and straight forward, basic hand tools to replace anything, you can do it.
Thanks! I now have another project to add to an already long list. lol..lol
Old 12-06-2005, 01:22 PM

To all who have replied with advice and suggestions, thanks!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Keep it, keep it, keep it! Check out the pix of my 73 Olds in my photo album. I've had this car since 1975 and plan on passing it on to my youngest son when he graduates college in a few years. I've been offered good money for it, but I still have it!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Since it appears you have decided to hang onto it I won't throw in my advice other than you made the right choice!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 PM

same as above. started to write then read fully. now wouldnt i have sound silly to write when every1 has shutup. hahaha.....(cries).....
No really. you made the right choice. Typical people are scum when oppressed by public. Even if its not worth 20 G's ill still say its cool.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.